Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Does anyone Ever Get QOD

Question of the day emailed to them I get those emailed to me everyday they on SQL server 70-228 cerfitication test. My answer was C but alot of other people answered C also..and disputing QOD saying they are incorrect..so now i am asking the GURUS what do you think???
    http://www.qod.us/answer.php

You have an SQL server that contains a database named Felons. You have been assigned the task of changing the way felon IDs appear in the Felons table. The FelonID column in the Felon table relationally links to several other tables with foreign key constraints in place. You need to automate the process of updating the primary key tools. You also want to minimize record locks and administration within the database during the update process so that you don't slow things down. What should you do?

A) Create a duplicate record that has a new FelonID value. Update the foreign key fields in the other tables.
    B) Disable the FOREIGN KEY constraints. Within a transaction, modify the values in the FelonID field in the other tables. Re-enable the FOREIGN KEY constraints after the keys are changed.
    C) Add an ON UPDATE CASCADE constraint to the FelonID field in the Customers table. Modify the values in the FelonID field in the Felons table.
    D) Create a data transformation services package. Use the package to transform the FelonID value and the values of the related foreign keys on the other tables.

Your answer is: C
    Correct answer is: A

Explanation: Cascading referential integrity constraints allow you make SQL server automatically update the keys across all the tables. The other actions would either be too tedious or slow things down, or not work right at all. You could end up with duplicate records with the old and new keys in the related tables and violate your key constraints.

Now heres all the Responses

Rijon

on: 2003-03-20 07:04:49 I'm not familiar with cascading referntial integrity constraints, so this question was confusing.…
    Ludynilla Lanez
    on: 2003-03-20 14:38:43 No comment…

jtf
    on: 2003-03-21 06:27:33 Have just started with SQL........…

Munnster
    on: 2003-09-03 07:12:50 Learn something new everyday…

mbatuchic
    on: 2003-09-03 08:29:08 that was a hard one for me…
    Sar123
    on: 2003-09-03 10:39:16 They DID it again. Explanation says:
    "Cascading referential integrity constraints allow you make SQL server automatically update the keys across all the tables. The other actions would either be too tedious or slow things down, or not work right at all...." which is answer C. I was right but since I did not answer A, QoD evaluated my answer C as incorrect answer.

Question is really GOOD and explanation is OK but answer A su**s.
    CORRECT ANSWER IS CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.…

Jim Tanner
    on: 2003-09-03 12:14:55 I have to agree with Sar123. The explanation tell why C is correct, my answer, but they say the correct answer is A.??????…

Jim Tanner
    on: 2003-09-03 12:14:56 I have to agree with Sar123. The explanation tell why C is correct, my answer, but they say the correct answer is A.??????…

Ricardo Ravazzolo
    on: 2003-09-03 13:07:41 The answer is always A, even if incorrect???…
    Pitarras
    on: 2003-09-03 13:52:37 Yeah, they made a mistake. Since the correct answer is C there are no comments to make.…

Provided Answers: 11
    I get most of my Questions of the Day from DBForums ;-)

Provided Answers: 1
    That has to be a typo. I would agree with C, and the explanation seems to support it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thank You Blindman

Woohoooo ....that Settles It C Is The Correct Thats One Guru Down That Agrees....happy Dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, modesty prevents me from affirming that my concurence validates your answer.

Second, you are getting way too excited about this. Do you have any hobbies? Perhaps some charitable work...

blindman

Um Ok

So what are you trying to say Blindman that I'm a boring Geek..who gets too excited about SQL Questions, SQL Knowledge...SQL Databases...etc..edt???...Dont forget that compliment I threw your way calling you a GURU, and yes I do have a hobby

when the question is "You have been assigned the task of changing the way felon IDs appear in the Felons table" then the answer could be something else

ON UPDATE CASCADE keeps primary/foreign key values in sync, but does nothing about changing the way the primary keys appear

perhaps what the question intended was that you are asked to change the primary key from, say, integer to, say, GUID

ON UPDATE CASCADE wouldn't cover that type of change
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

R937

Ok thank you I appreciate your answer. Ok shoot I was wrong anyways Oh well learn something new every day. So A would be the correct answer well darn back to the books. Thanks R937
    Last edited by desireemm; 01-11-05 at 18:48.

I'd go for A. But that's just because I thought the other ones looked to complex for the issue.

"So what are you trying to say Blindman that I'm a boring Geek..who gets too excited about SQL Questions, SQL Knowledge...SQL Databases...etc..edt???..."

Yes.

Welcome to the club. Your membership card is in the mail and should arrive in a few days.

B. Lindman
    Assistant Secretary to the Associate Director of Membership Processing, International Disassociation of Database Administrators

blindman

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Assistant Secretary to the Associate Director of Membership Processing, International Disassociation of Database Administrators
    Don't worry, the revised update to the altered changes to the specifications will be arriving shortly (in the next 2-6 months).

-PatP

I forgot my secret handshake. Can you e-mail it to me?

blindman

Thanks dbForums

thanks for the birthday greetings guys..I got a birthday greeting by email from dbforums

Rofl

Thanks Blindman and Pat I'm really feeling love. And I'll be looking forward to my memebership card...um is there a Fee???

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Thanks Blindman and Pat I'm really feeling love. And I'll be looking forward to my memebership card...um is there a Fee???
    That would be in the 'Feelon' table which is of course accessed by 'FeelonID'