Unanswered: Questions regarding queries in Access (ODBC- Oracle)

Hello,

I am using Access 2000 to create a database with linked tables to an Oracle Database via ODBC. I am able to link the tables that are needed and pull the data that I want using a SQL Specific, Union Query. The data takes a bit of time to be processed, which brings me to question #1.

I have heard that in using the criteria "Like" can slow the process of gathering data. However, I want it to pull records that only begin with a specific sequence (i.e. EM*, LS*, SS*). Is there another way for these records to be deciphered without using the "Like" command.

Next, I have created two other queries that use the Union query to pull records that are > or = a specific date given at the time of execution. Is this neccessary? or should I simply create another Union Query that will prompt for a date. The reason that I ask is because it seems to slow the process even more running a query off of a query.

Thirdly, I am pulling data from a very large Oracle database that is using tracers to link data, and I find that when the data is compiled into my Access tables, the primary Key (alpha numeric) is being duplicated because of part numbers and serial numbers being tiered down to lowest component. Is there any way I can do away with the replicating of the primary key and still keep the aditional data (rows) that complete the record?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

-Chris

Bump... Anyone have a few words of wisdom for me?