down on the cube farm, left then right then another left

Unanswered: creating a new report server

9iAS or 10gAS

I can not find any documentation that says "do this to create a second report server". Some one in the past created a second report server. We are migrating to a new machine and I am tasked with getting the second report server running.

Second question: Is there a logical reason for needing a second server, when Oracle automatically will launch enough to handle request load?
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > Is there a logical reason for needing a second server, when Oracle automatically will launch enough to handle request load?

At some point the system (CPU, RAM, I/O) will be 100% saturated and response time will degenerate (badly?).
    A couple of options then need to be considered.
    1) A "bigger" system with larger capacity
    2) Multiple systems to share the load
    Niether is "better"; just different trade-offs.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Thanks.

Any help on how to create a second report server in addition to the server created at install?

Provided Answers: 4
    I did it this way (btw, it really is a shame that you can't find proper manual to do it. Took me hours to figure that out ...):

- start Report Server (from the command prompt, go to folder similar to c:\ora10g\bin) with this command:

rwserver –install <report server name>

For example, "rwserver –install my_repserv"

- there'll be a question: Do you want to install report server as NT service? – answer YES

- another message: Server 'Oracleora10gReports[my_repserv]' installed. Go to Control Panel Services to start it up.

o Windows XP: Go to Administrative Tools – Services and start service manually.
    o Service will be here "forever" - you can leave it on manual starting because automatic starts service every time you boot the computer, it uses some resources and you might not need it all the time. However, if you need, you can change the way it starts up to "automatically".

I hope this helps ...

That is pretty straight forward. I assume you need to copy all the requisite conf files from the default server and do some modifications.

Provided Answers: 4
    As far as I can recall, I didn't do that. Report server was running properly.