Unanswered: Update database frontend

Hi,

I'm looking help or suggestions on how to check for a newer version of a frontend then copy the file if there is. I have considered creating a basic database with a form that will copy the mde file then close itself down. something like this:

1. Frontend opens, checks update table on frontend stored on network drive against update table on local frontend. If there is an update close the frontend, open the update database.
    2. Update database will copy the new frontend to the local system then open it closing itself in the process.

Anyone got any suggestions or know a better way to do this?

Provided Answers: 1
    What version of access? In 2k+, my preferred method is using the FileScriptingObject to test modified dates between a "master" and client copy of the front end. If it needs updating, I have a light-weight, standalone update program that I instruct them to run before exiting access. That was handy because occassionaly we would need to update more then one in-house application at once, so we could copy anything we needed all in one shot by modifying the "update" program.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

have a similar requirement. I am using Access97 across a network with about 12 clients. Grateful for any advice on how to automate the updating of the client databases. I'ts quite a chore going around to each one and manually updating the FrontEnd.

have a similar requirement. I am using Access97 across a network with about 12 clients. Grateful for any advice on how to automate the updating of the client databases. I'ts quite a chore going around to each one and manually updating the FrontEnd.

For 97, I would probably create a "version" database or even just a config file that you could open and check against a version number stored in the client. This was a method employed to version many, many small production databases in a very large retail client I worked for. It's low-tech and not very flexible, but it works if version control is your only need.

Can't you add a custom property to the database using the createproperty method? This will probably be the best method to check for fr versions. Thoughts?

The retail outlet I mentioned would store a constant in a global module, then reference this value against one stored in the "master" database. Same basic idea as attaching a property...