Cool Unanswered: Replication from Oracle to SQL Server

Hey Gang, I have SQL Server database that I'm designing for a .Net Development application group. It's pretty cut and dry all the relationship are one to many and fully normalized. This application will interface with other application in our organization and some of the data I found is availble in Oracle which handle User info and is updated daily.

?? Can you replicate Just a portion of a table. If I want to get 5 out of 50 fields replicated from Oracle to SQL Server??

Well, what do you want to do with it. Bi-directional change-anywhere configuration? It is much easier to just publish from Oracle to SQL Server. (The opposite is not as easy, but still easier than bi-directional.)

In general, table subsetting is supported by Oracle replication. It's always supported when you write your own replication code.

Replication is a push technology between like database systems. It cannot be used to pull data, and it requires both ends look like the same database. That does not mean they need to be the same database (i.e., Oracle) because Oracle has gateway technologies that make 3rd party databases look like Oracle.

Supposing you implement Oracle replication to push data changes to SQL Server, what will you use on the SQL Server side to pull data back to Oracle? I don't think Oracle's replication will build SQL Server triggers and T-SQL procedures to do all of that.

SQL Server has replication technology, depending on which version you have, but it won't synchronize its activities with Oracle. From SQL Server’s perspective, you can access Oracle databases using a combination of ODBC and Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS). This is outlined in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...data.mspx#EGAA. Although the article is for SQL Server 7, the other documents on Microsoft’s web site leads me to believe it is also applicable to SQL Server 2000.

Using SQL Server's autonumbers and Oracle's sequences will present problems.

Some of this is a MS thing. I don't think Bill and Larry are friends. If you were using Sybase ASE (formerly the same product as SQL Server) then it would be easier to integrate with Oracle. SQL Server has closed some doors that Sybase left open.