Unanswered: space problem on SQL Server install drive (was "Question???")

On the drive that SQL server is install on which is the C drive the amount of space is 495mb, can the amount of space be a potential problem, I am so used to looking at the drives that contains the data and log files and the backup.

So My question is should I also concern myself with the drive the sql server itself is installed on?

Thanks

Lystra

Provided Answers: 54
    Typically your machine's virtual memory file (usually pagefile.sys) is on the same drive as the default location for executable files. Yes, this can be a problem, and it can be a chrome plated bugger to diagnose!

-PatP

Thanks Pat

We isolate our os on to it's own drive for all our servers
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

You should always isolate the drives you put the DB info on. Typically, you should have minimally three different drives/paritions to stick the following: you log files, your data files and your tempDB files.

Tempdb should be on it's own drive, because it tends to fluctuate in size constantly. That way, running out of space because of a huge tempdb won't affect your other files. Keep in mind that your tempdb will grow like your pagefile as Pat mentioned, so you can't have you data files on the same drive.

In our production environment, we have different drives for index,data,log,sysdata filegroups and for our tempdb. You've got to consider that when accessing a table, you'll be accessing index info and table info simultaneously, so it would be faster to read that information from two different drives instead of one(less lower level IO work)

Cheers,
    -Kilka

Well I can tell you that nothing is isolated here. Would It be difficult to isolate everything, now that it is up and running?

Thanks

Lystra