Lightbulb Unanswered: account data from excel

I am fairly new to FM and want to import spreadsheet account data from excel and set up a database to enable reporting on who spent how much from which account. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jsprogram; 01-12-05 at 16:10.

Hello.
    You should import your excel file.
    Try this (i use fm pro 7 and it works):
    File >> Import Records >> File

Load your excel file and go on

Thanks. I have been able to import from excel. Any advice on how to set up the database in FM to generate the reports I need? It is basically about showing what got spent by who from each account and for what purpose.

Advice

Define some summary fields ( menu File > Define > Database...)
    that total, count and so forth you would like to see in your reports.

Next enter the layout mode (menu View > Layout

Create a new report ( menu Layout > New Layout/Report) then select Colunmar/List report. On the next screen select grouped data. Then just work your way on through the screens.

By selecting grouped data, you can get summarys for each person grouped nicely. But you must sort the same way you set up the report for it to display properly.

If you only want a report for one person, first "find" his data only and then print the report.

Thanks for your advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by budnail
    Define some summary fields ( menu File > Define > Database...)
    that total, count and so forth you would like to see in your reports.

I'm not sure how to include the functions of Totaling, Counting..

Next enter the layout mode (menu View > Layout

Create a new report ( menu Layout > New Layout/Report) then select Colunmar/List report. On the next screen select grouped data. Then just work your way on through the screens.

I didn't get an option for Grouped Data. Do I create a Report for each individual who's spending I want to track? Do I create a seperate database for each account (there are about 5 or 6)?

If you only want a report for one person, first "find" his data only and then print the report.
    The Excel spreadsheets have a function in them that keeps a running total for each account. How do I implement that in FM?

regards