Question Unanswered: How do I add multiple info???

I have to create a database that tracks shipments. I must track a container (Field name container_no) and also track what seals are on the containers.

All containers have unique numbers and will never be used twice. Each container can have anywhere between 1-20 different seal numbers. I want to be able to enter the container number and the seal number and then be asked if I want to add another seal number without having to reenter all the container number info over again.

Also want to be able to run a search on the multiple seal number that are assigned to that one container.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 1
    What have you tried so far?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Attempts

For now I can only figure out how to enter one seal number. Since the container field is a unqiue field I can't go back into that form after I close it because it asks me again for to enter a container number (Container_No) and then the seal number (Seal_no). When I try to do this it will not save due to the Container_no being unique and already in database. Only thing I can think of was to make different fields (Seal_no1, Seal_no2 ect) but this is not good as I want to have the seal numbers all in one field area so that I can search just that one field, also since some containers only have one seal and other can have up to fifty I don't want to make Seal_no1 thru Seal_n50. Any ideas?

your SealNo and ContainerNo belong in different tables:

tblContainer:
    ContainerNo, PK
    ...and any other info that belongs to the CONTAINER

tblSeal:
    SealNo, PK
    ContainerNo, FK on tblContainer
    ...and any other info that belongs to the SEAL

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 59
    Go with Izy on that one
    A container has a separatre 'life' of its own, as does a seal, although you are only interested in the seal when it is linked / attached to a container.

When you want to allocate a seal to a container then you do it through a subform The link being the ContainerNo. as identified in Izy's table outline. Incidently I would suggest you calrify what you are referrign to is the Container No the Containers serial No (IE number visible on the container OR an internal containerID which could be an internal autonumber ID within Access.

HTH

Thanks I'll give it a try with putting them in seperate tables.