Unanswered: Informix logical logs & blobspaces

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether or not it is possible to include blobspaces in the logical logs.

My understanding is that blobs can only be written to the logical logs where those blobs are part of a dbspace however a vendor is suggesting that we should also be able to include changes to a blobspace.

I would also appreciate any advice regarding the setting up of Informix replication between two servers on different sites. The production server has a blobspace of approx. 150gb and it is this that is causing difficulty.

Rgd's,

Dave

Hi Dave,

First an answer on your first question. If blobs (datatypes byte or text) are stored in blobpages they are NOT logged in the logical log. Or actually the LOB itself is not, but the pointers are. A copy of the LOB is saved in the blobspace as long as necessary. If you are using blobpages inside dbspaces then they are lgged just as normal pages.

Your second question is somewhat harder to answer. I think we need extra info like the version of your database, the kind of replication you are refering to (HDR/ER) etc.

Hope this helps,

Rob Prop