Unanswered: what should i download to run mysql on my pc (was "Newbie question re MySQL")

I would like to familiarize myself with MySQL. With this in mind, I explored their website.

Keeping in mind that I am what you might call an "educated, interested, experienced" end-user of other databases such as Oracle and Access - not programmer or developer, mind you - what should I download to be able to run it on my PC? I don't believe I need the developer tools, just the db engine, GUI tools, online manuals, etc. Also, I hope to run this on a laptop, not a desktop. What would be the *minimum* file size to get the minimum feature set that I would need to have on my computer?

Can someone guide me on this?

Thanks.

Jabo

ok this hardly depends on your intention

if you want do build some webfeatures, or do you just use the db on your local system.

allways a good start is to download the binarys for your os (server and client) u get this at www.mysql.com :0)

What should I download to run MySQL on my PC

Thanks for the reply, but would appreciate some more detail.
    I wish to "play" with MySQL and get to know basic db development - setting up tables, relating them, building forms, queries, the usual introductory stuff.
    My intention is to start small, perhaps set up a Contacts db, then expanding into something slightly more challenging, and then get to know how to set up a db that can be accessed via a website. I do not wish to become a developer, only to familiarize myself with MySQL. First, of course, the basics.
    Could you guide me step-by-step as to:
    1. what to download;
    2. how to download and use the materials;
    3. organized series of steps to accomplish the above.
    Thanks,
    Jabo

ok ..
    so if you download the mysql software and install it you can play around with the database

you can handle your db by useing the PROMPT and write all your queries to the shell :0)

especially for beginnerst not the easiest way to learn mysql :0)
    im sure there are some tools you can install to browse the database und do your first experience by clicking and draging and droping, but to be honest i dont know em

i installad a apache webserver with php LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP)
    and downloaded phpMyAdmin thats a nice adminsitration tool that allows you to work with your mysql database
    you can build tables alter them in you webbrowser
    insert delete and update data
    its easy to use but the setup is a bit over the top if you dont need a webserver and php at all

if you want to setup a LAMP oder WAMP (Linux or Windows Based apache mysql php server) just google for "WAMP or LAMP How To" i think you will find one or two hits :0)

hope i could help