Unanswered: Unrecognized Database Format

I hope someone can help with this, because it's starting to drive me NUTS.

I have a back-end / front-end system, with 6 users linking to the same back-end with their own front-end. Ever since we started using this setup in earnest, we have been getting this error almost daily:

-2147467259 Unrecognized Database Format

To fix this I have to kick everyone out and open the back-end, which prompts me to Compact and Repair. I've researched this throughout the internet and it seems the problem is Jet / Access version compatability (i.e., Jet 3.51 or older does not work with Access 2000 or above, which causes this error). We are using Access 2000. The problem stems from the fact that not everyone has the same version of files on their PC. One person had Access 97, so we reimaged his. A few others had Jet 3.51 and Jet 4.0, so I removed the old versions of Jet completely. Another cause could be an old version of DAO (3.5 or older), but DAO is not used anywhere in my code (ADO exclusively), and besides, everyone has 3.6. All databases were created with Access 2000.

So...it's obviously some type of compatability issue, but even though everyone has Access 2000 and Jet 4.0 only (no one has any older versions) - the error continues to occur, and I am on the verge of going mad. As far as I can tell, there is no reason this should be happening.

The front-end creates and destroys links to the back-end on open and close, but I have no idea what kind of connection Access uses to create those, so I'm not sure if that could be causing the problem.

Getting new PCs or reimaging old ones is pretty much out of the question, since you have to jump through dozens of flaming hoops to get our IT department to do anything remotely logical and cost-effective. I do not have rights to install anything. Considering that, does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this, or how I can fix it? I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks.

What MDAC are you using? Try getting everyone to 2.7 ... Recompile the FE with 2.7 (re-referencing the libraries) and then deploy.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    What MDAC are you using? Try getting everyone to 2.7 ... Recompile the FE with 2.7 (re-referencing the libraries) and then deploy.
    Some PCs have 2.8, some 2.5. I'll have to see if I can get that changed on everyone's PC. Thanks for the response.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post them. Thanks.
    Last edited by BummerJeff; 01-14-05 at 16:39.