Question what software to use to make database in a networking/lan area??

hi....

i am working on a project to make databse software for data storing & sharing in a networking/LAN,

in this project i want to make software that able to store data (file: word,pdf,etc) so other person that connected in LAN able to access the file(open or download the file) & also able to share their data so other member in the netwotking(LAN) able to see the data that each other members upload...

please any one let me know what software to use to build such program...

thanks...

i believe Windows Explorer will do the job on any Windows computer
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    i believe Windows Explorer will do the job on any Windows computer
    Yup.. i agree, but is there any software that have friendly graphical user interface, because not all data in other PC are usefull for other user..

so if possible i want to make database software that able to upload certain data for other user to easily access on it...

actually, we did use windows explorer for that purpose, but quite not effective to search data in other person pc...

Any suggestion???

perhaps you will find some ideas by searching for "network or intranet document management system" on google
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    perhaps you will find some ideas by searching for "network or intranet document management system" on google

OK... thanks

well... i think what you require is document management system. there are quite a number of DMS in the market. One is Hummingbird. But, you have to be very carefull and diligent with the assessment of your requirements. You wouldn't want your organization to very expensive tools where in fact a simple directory management in Explorer would do.

Another thing that you have to look into is the possibility that what you require is more than just resource sharing but rather work routing. If so, then your requirement leans towards workflow management. LotusNotes is good tool. Same is true with a tool from Computer Associates.

Quote Originally Posted by manilaguy76
    well... i think what you require is document management system. there are quite a number of DMS in the market. One is Hummingbird. But, you have to be very carefull and diligent with the assessment of your requirements. You wouldn't want your organization to very expensive tools where in fact a simple directory management in Explorer would do.

Another thing that you have to look into is the possibility that what you require is more than just resource sharing but rather work routing. If so, then your requirement leans towards workflow management. LotusNotes is good tool. Same is true with a tool from Computer Associates.
    thanks for your info....

infact lotus notes is used currently in my organization... & I didn't know it has document management system capabilities...
    so i think i will try lotusnotes then...

thank you very much.........

Docuware

Docuware is a powerful Document Management Software that will answer your needs. It comes with SQL license and is pretty easy to administer.
    You can share files and store any format...