Question Unanswered: FoxPro vs Visual Basic

Hi to all,

I just like to ask what are the diffrences between creating a program out of foxpro and visual basic. We all know that visual basic is more widely used that foxpro but why???

Please give me some diffrences or advantages of visual basic to visual foxpro.

thanks for your answers...
    Give me a place to code and i shall move the earth!

Provided Answers: 6
    apples and oranges.

VB does not have a built in database engine. A lot of people use VB to connect to various database backends like SQL Server, Oracle and (god forbid) Access. VB is good as a rapid development tool for begineers.

FoxPro is more of a database engine backend that allows you to build some front end GUIs.

VB with a decent database (MySQL,SQL Server,Oracle,Sybase etc..) will out perform FoxPro. More people know how to program in VB and SQL than in FoxPro which makes finding programmers easier.

Go with VB and decent database. I got stuck doing FoxPro for a couple of years and hated it.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thnks........
    Give me a place to code and i shall move the earth!

Provided Answers: 54
    Actually, I see FoxPro in a rather different light than Thrasymachus does.

VB is a coding environment. VB is the current successor to M-BASIC, which is probably the grand-daddy of microcomputer programming languages. Although they've been associated since the days of VB 3.0, through one of VB's illegitimate offspring (VBA in the guise of MS-Access), VB itself has become associated with the Jet database engine (which is also part of MS-Access). VB can be used with any ODBC compliant database (which is just about any database that can be accessed from a Windows platform), but John Q Public often see's VB and Jet as tightly linked.

FoxPro is an application development environment. FoxPro was Dave Fox's answer to the wannabe succsors to dBase that sprouted like toadstools in the 1990s. It was arguably the fastest executing of them, but in terms of developer work needed to find a solution to a given problem it was almost always the easiest answer. Like VB, FoxPro is also able to work with any ODBC database, even though nearly everyone associates it with dBase formatted data files.

VB is just beginning to embrace the object oriented paradigm, while FoxPro has lived and died by it for years. VB is very code oriented, while FoxPro is very "solution oriented". The two have reached roughly the same place in today's marketplace, through very different routes and for different reasons. Each does many things well, and both are able to solve most business problems using the same set of ODBC compliant database engines, although both products are often associated with a single legacy database product.

Take a look at both VB and FoxPro. I don't see how you can go wrong with either of them, the choice really boils down to which development package better fits your personal development style.

-PatP