Thread: subtraction

Unanswered: subtraction

I have a database that keeps track of inventory. I have a table and a form with stock on hand. If I change the values from the form it will change the values in my table and vice versa.

I was wondering if there was a way I can instead of changing the values; where I can input an amount that was sold and have that subtract from the table of stock on hand.

Provided Answers: 59
    Yes there is a way of doing that, what have you tried so far?

I reckon you will need a transaction table recording all movements on the stock item (deliveries, completions, sales, returns, disposals and a periodic stock adjustment to cater for shrinkage (theft or miscounts)
    HTH

what i've tried? looking for information . i'm new to access so my knowledge is low. i have an inventory adjustment form that will change the values from the form to the table. i'd like to make a form when you input amount sold, it will automaticly subtract those values from the inventory table.

Provided Answers: 59
    I reckon you will need a transaction table recording all movements on the stock item (deliveries, completions, sales, returns, disposals and a periodic stock adjustment to cater for shrinkage (theft or miscounts)
    probably another table to identify the transaction type and net effedct of the transaction (ie TXType=Sale TXeffect=subtract; TXType=Delivery, TXEffect=Add - ie when you make a sale the transaction quantity is subtracted from stock, A delivery Adds to stock.

You have a form which acts as a GRN/StockIssue with a subform detailing items received or dispatched.

Your reports and / or forms referring to the stock level will then run a query or summation to calculate the stock

You have a design choice as to how often, if ever do you reset the start point. To calculate a stock you either run from 0 and keep adding or subtracting, Or your periodically recount the stock, bin (or ignore) any previous data.
    HTH