Angry Unanswered: Pervasive on Novell

I've developed a web based report system using .NET. I received the customers' test data in BTR (BRTIEVE) files and install PSQL V8 on my PC to develop the reports - all went GREAT.

I installed the system om a windows server at the customers' site and setup the odbc connection to the pervasive service running on the netware box.

No my system cannot retrieve data from the netware pervasive system.

NW32 client is installed on the server as well.

I can browse the data using VS.NET, but as soon as I runn the application is get an error stating: "The connection is closed". This is in the line of code just after is give the open command (which gives me no errors).

I've googled this problem the whole weekend and cannot find anything that would work.

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correction !!!!!!!!

The error message is get is "The connection is dead!"

Provided Answers: 4
    Sounds like a rights issue. Make sure the ASP.NET user as rights on the NetWare server.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Rights to netware box

I have absolutely no rights to the Netware box and cannot get hold of the administrator, but I can view the data even from my notebook pc that does not have NW32 client installed.

On my notebook I only setup the ODBC to the IP of the NW server, and then I can view the data from an .EXE but not from an .aspx application.

I would agree with the rights issue, but Im not sure that it makes sense.

.NET Component

I'm now trying the .NET component as provided by pervasive and get this error:

Run-time exception thrown : Pervasive.Data.SqlClient.PsqlException - Error retrieving error information

This is from a VB.NET application.

If I include a valid UID and PWD that can logon to the netware box in the connection string I get:

Run-time exception thrown : Pervasive.Data.SqlClient.PsqlException - The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

ANYONE Please

Provided Answers: 4
    What engine is running on the NetWare server?
    As far as rights, ASPNET (the user used by ASP.NET) needs to have rights to the NetWare server. When you log in and use an EXE, ODBC is using your rights. When you use an ASP.NET app, the user is ASPNET and it doesn't have a lot of rights by default. Make sure ASPNET has rights on the NetWare box.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

I managed to solve the problem.

The issue was that the object.Fill(obj) was attempting to draw the data from the PSQL server and it failed.

To resolve the problem i wrote a custom control to read the data, row-for-row, and display it nicely on the form.

Now it work GREAT.

Thanks for your inputs.