Unanswered: Does it matter how many MySQL DBs I have (was "How much is to much?")

Ok, I run a video game site and right now I'm using Access databases. I've made quite a few topics about converting recently and I'm about to make the move. My final question about converting is how I should set up my MySQL DB.

Currently I have an access database for users, a DB for each game consoles cheats, a DB for several different boards, and a few others. I formatted it this way with Access because Access only allows so many users to connect at once and the more users that connect the slower it gets. Plus I wanted to keep the DB size down.

My question is, should I have more than one MySQL DB like I do with the Access DB's now? Another large gaming site (gamefaqs.com) has message boards and cheat codes for every game as well as a lot of users (sometimes 5000 on at once). I believe they use MySQL but I was wondering if a site like that has more than one MySQL db. Does it matter how many MySQL DBs I have? Will the speed of the site slow down and how many users will be allowed at once? If anyone can help with these basic questions as well as any other things I should know then help me out. Thanks.

It will not matter how many databases or tables you set up for your site.

If you are worried about speed and the number of connections to your site at the same time, then I would suggust the purchase a good server. How much you want to spend should depend on how many users you predict to have at the same time.
    J.D.
    Database Administrator

I think the largest factor for performance is how well your tables and queries are designed. A low-end dedicated server (< $200/month) can easily support hundreds of users. How many databases you have doesn't really matter. How well the database are designed is what really matters.

so technically one database with all the user information and another database with all the message board information will run at the same speed/specs as if I do it with one database?

anybody know?

help please

Provided Answers: 59
    depending how your site is designed and what tools (language) your are usuign to access it you may even get a performance benefit from having one database. If the language can pool / share connections then you will save the cost (time) of a connection, the db may optimise its loading pattern to take account of usage.

I would suspect your ISP would also having something to say over costing if you have several databases connected. The base engine couldn't care whether its talking to one or more physical databases.