Unanswered: Simple Calculation???

Hello All, I am a mid range user of Microsoft Access (2000) and am currently putting together a quote based database to try and make my life easier at work. However, I have come across an issue that has stumped me and I am sure that the solution is very simple if you are a heavy user. Basically I three fields [item_cost] [item_num] and [total_cost].

Now the first two fields are manual entry but I would like the last one to automatically calculate the result and then store it in the table. I can make the calulation or store the sum after doing the calculation manually but cannot do both

Any help is appreciated

Don't store calculations. They can be done any time, automatically, based on the values of the relevant fields. If you are creating an Item table, total_cost should not be a field.

Yes I understand the problems associated with this, however, this is a subform in a main form where I add items to a quote list. I can calculate the total cost per line item but cannot get a total of all the lines. Here is what I have done

In the footer of the sub form I have a small calculation =Sum(([item_cost]*[item_num])) and named the text box [subtotal], now this gives me the total value for the order but because it is in the footer it does not appear in the main form. So I created another text box in the main form and name it [total] the formula in this one was a simple =[Forms]![order_subform]![subtotal]

Alas I get a NAME? error when I preview it

What am I doing wrong?

I am not an expert.

Hello Nibbler and welcome to the board.
    Please note I am not an expert of any sort, that said:
    It sounds like you have textbox1 and textbox 2 that you enter values for and textbox3 is something like =[textbox1]*[textbox2] and when you exit textbox2 3 is updated. Correct ?
    If so why not add soem code to the After Update event for textbox2.
    Sample:
    Code:
    Private Sub Textbox2_AfterUpdate()
    Dim Sql as String 
    Sql = "INSERT INTO tblMyTable ( field ) SELECT [forms]![MyFrom]![textbox3] "
    Docmd.Setwarnings False ' this is a personal preference of mine
    DoCmd.RunSQL Sql
    DoCmd.setwarnings True ' turn those warnings back on.
    End Sub
    That is my 2 cents worth.
    Darasen

Hi Darsen,

Thanks for the tip, I am not too well up on VB and am not sure where you want me to put in my form names and what are commands but I reckon it should read like this, correct?

Private Sub order_num_AfterUpdate()
    Dim Sql as String
    Sql = "INSERT INTO tblMyTable ( field ) SELECT [forms]![order_detail]![total] "
    Docmd.Setwarnings False ' this is a personal preference of mine
    DoCmd.RunSQL Sql
    DoCmd.setwarnings True ' turn those warnings back on.
    End Sub

Thanks
    Nibbler

Provided Answers: 1
    Use the DSUM(expr, domain, criteria) function in your outer form to calculate the total of related records in the subtable. You may need to issue a recalc or refresh order when control is returned to the main form from the subform...
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Hi Blindman, thanks for the tip - do you have an example expression that I can use?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    That was a sample expression...

Maybe you should check the help file for more information?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***