Unanswered: saving design changes in shared database

We upgraded to ms access 2003. We used to be able to make design changes on just about anything in access 97 IF a user was not in the particular record/form/object. Now it seems we can't do much of anything in access 2003 unless in exclusive mode. (and we have many many users 24 hours a day) so it's even hard to import changes made off-line.

Is there anyway around this in 2003? Any other suggestions? Other than calling all users on the phone to tell them to log off (and some are logged in and not even there), can we 'boot' everyone off (although this really is not a good option for us either). This is a production database.

It would be good if we could just make quick changes as needed when we want as it was in the version 97.

Thanks

There are probably other ways to do this, but here's how I do it (rather complex)...

My back end is on the server. Each user has a copy of the front end on
    their pc. The front end on my pc is the developement DB. The "master" copy of the front end is on the network. I put a command
    button on my main menu that is visible only when I'm logged into the DB.
    I click that button whenever I want to save changes I've made to the DB:

1) Update an .ini file with a date section and a version section to todays date, and a new version number using WritePrivateProfileString API Call. This ini file is stored in the same location as the network master db.

2) Copy the db from my hard drive to the network using a .bat file (called using the Shell command)

I created a shortcut on each users PC for them to open the front end on their PC. This shortcut point to another .bat file on their hard drive:

1) Calls a VB script file, which compares the date/version in the .ini file
    on their pc to the .ini file on the network. If they are different, the network
    front end is copied to the users pc.

This way, my users keep up to date with my version changes, as long as they remember to log out of access periodically, and to use my shortcut for getting into the app, rather than doing a File - Open.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Rename your old db then save as 2003 format. This should get you started as '97 behavior on changes.

The database is already in 2003 upgraded format.
    As to the other suggestion, we have soooo many users and PCs, and the users and PC's change constantly. Right now we have a front-end and backend on a shared server and I just keep the shortcut (it's secured) in the same place. So when a new user requests, they just use the shortcut off the server. That seems complicated to me (your suggestion) but one questions, when you save/update the new changes to the end user...it doesn't matter if they are using the other frontend version or not? It's invisible to them?

Also, we have two or three devolopers on this (it's huge) and not sure that would work with all three of us?

If I save a change, it may not be visible to the user until the next day. Unless I tell them to exit the app, and go back in using the shortcut.
    They will then pick up the new front end off of the network.

This solution won't work with one network front end, because you would
    never be able to copy over it without all of the users being out. (Same as your original problem.)

As far as having multiple developers. I can't figure that one out. Maybe you should all just work a different shift, then there's no chance you'll want to make changes at the same time (ha ha)!
    Inspiration Through Fermentation