Unanswered: How to acquire software while working as freelancer

Hi,

I want to start the work after a long time as a freelancer, since I cann't afford to join 8 hours office job. I want to do projects from home in oracle, vb , visual foxpro. What I want to know is If I bid for some project and get the project. Should I have the software(i.e. oracle) of my own OR the person providing the project should have that software and will provide me rights to work on that OR we both need to have that software. I have the personal oracle downloaded. I know I cann't use that for commercial purpose.

If I need to have that software then is there any sites which resale the right in cheaper price(since oracle from oracle website is very expensive) or I could subscribe it for 6 month or for a year?

I know there are some rdbms like mysql etc are free but I want to work in oracle and vb, so when I would like to go back in job again in same software it will be easy for me.

Thanks

depends on the contract language between you and the company.

Hi,

IIRC The Oracle personal edition is free - entirely free and you can use it for development. My understanding of "commercial use" is that you cannot run it as a production database. Check the licence details though, don't take my word for it.

With VB etc, you may be best going for an MSDN subscription. This gives you virtually every piece of M$ software for a single fee per year (around 1000 USD or so). Let's be honest, if you can't recover that cost from Freelancing, you should maybe consider whether Freelancing is an option to start with

http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/subscribers/

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Provided Answers: 1
    Speaking to some (contractor) friends, it depends entirely on the contract for each job.

Most times the company is basically hiring your expertise, & will provide you with all the tools (including software) necessary to do the job. But some companies who are, for example, venturing into IT for the first time may request you to provide the software.

Don't forget, contracts are 2-way, so you can always specify that the company must provide the software etc for you.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Thanks for the responses.

I read the oracle licence aggrement earlier also but still not sure, can use the free version for development purpose and sale my developed application. As it says "can not make the programs available in any manner to any third party;"
    If anybody could surely tell or from where I can get the definite information. I will appriciate it.

Purchasing option from microsoft is also more than $1000. Is any possibility to get the subscription on monthly or half yearly basis at cheaper rate.

Are there any reseller of oracle and microsoft from whom you can buy the limited rights for limited time?

Thanks

I read the oracle licence aggrement earlier also but still not sure, can use the free version for development purpose and sale my developed application. As it says "can not make the programs available in any manner to any third party;"
    If anybody could surely tell or from where I can get the definite information. I will appriciate it. You may NOT use a free version of the development package for production work, or to sell a product developed with the free version.

Purchasing option from microsoft is also more than $1000. Is any possibility to get the subscription on monthly or half yearly basis at cheaper rate. No, however you would only need the professional version which costs $1,199 US per year.

Are there any reseller of oracle and microsoft from whom you can buy the limited rights for limited time? You can save about a hundred bucks on MSDN by going through amazon.com, Regular licenses for oracle products may only be purchases through oracle. Restricted versions are available, but only when bundled with a canned application.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    You may NOT use a free version of the development package for production work, or to sell a product developed with the free version.
    I don't believe you're correct in this statement. Here's what the license says:
    You may not:
    use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development of a single prototype of your application;
    use the application you develop with the programs for any internal data processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an appropriate license from us;
    continue to develop your application after you have used it for any internal data processing, commercial or production purpose without securing an appropriate license from us, or an Oracle reseller;
    Say you're planning to develop an accounting application for your client using Oracle database software. You can write and test your code and demonstrate your application to the client. You can then sell a license for your application to the client.

However, you can't pass a copy of the Oracle CD to the client. The client who bought your application needs a commercial Oracle license in order to run you application. You can't use your accounting software either to keep your books.

In short, you should be fine if you 1) don't give copies of Oracle software to anyone and 2) don't use Oracle software for any other purpose except developing your application.

Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard

If you need only VB you can get a copy of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard for $109. If all you feel you need is VB. You can get a copy of Visual Studio .NET 2003 for $799 or you can get the year subscription to MSDN for $1,199.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't shoot yourself in the foot by being cheap today and opting for just a copy of VB and then realizing that you later need another application for another customer like C.

As for Oracle I agree with the previous posts that said you can download a free developer license for developing purposes.

A customer who's seriuos about finding a solution for their IT needs will have to take into account the cost of licenses. You're bound to the license agreement just like any other bidder for the job. If you want to cut costs licensing is not the place to do it.

You can write your application demonstrate that it works in your development environment and hand over your app to the customer. That's the end of your obligation. If the customer decides to run your app using a free license from Oracle that's their decision and their legal problem not yours.

You can go to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac or you can buy a Big Mac with cheese for 5 cents more or you can buy the whole value meal the choice is up to you and how much hunger you have.

You may not:
    use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development of a single prototype of your application;
    use the application you develop with the programs for any internal data processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an appropriate license from us;
    continue to develop your application after you have used it for any internal data processing, commercial or production purpose without securing an appropriate license from us, or an Oracle reseller;

You may NOT sell an application that you developed without buying a license for the developer package before you sell or use the application!
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

'sell' != 'use'

However, neither beilstwh's nor my opinions are legal advice. Anjuneer: if you are concerned about your legal position you should be speaking with a lawyer and not with anonymous geeks on some bulletin board :-)
    Last edited by n_i; 01-21-05 at 10:49.

You dont need a license for the database for development purposes BUT if you use a development tool like jdeveloper then I believe you have to purchase a licence for jdeveloper.

Alan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by n_i
    'sell' != 'use'

However, neither beilstwh's nor my opinions are legal advice. Anjuneer: if you are concerned about your legal position you should be speaking with a lawyer and not with anonymous geeks on some bulletin board :-)
    Wait you guys are geeks??
    Oracle OCPI (Certified Practicing Idiot)