Unanswered: connect to a database without server (was "Sorry for the stupid newbie question")

Hi peoples...

I am a total newbie when it comes to SQL databases.

I currently work for a company developing software. We use a VB Development environment and connect to Dbase III database files using DAO... ewwwww...

We are looking to upgrade our development environment to VB.net and our database to either mySQL or MSSQL...

My question is - most of our users are on standalone machines. Our software is NOT internet based, nor do we want it that way at the moment.

Is there a way to connect to a mySQL database without having a server running? Or are we better advised to stick to an MS Access database if this is the case....

Basically the reasoning behind upgrading is better speed and record locking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry to sound so dumb...

Cheers,

Kev

You can set up mySQL on a central server and have all the clients connect to the mySQL server. You do not need a mySQL server running on each client machine.
    J.D.
    Database Administrator

Thanks for that J.D., but most of our clients are on a standalone machine... or only have 2 or 3 users...

Also, if we do as you say, how does the installation procedure go? Does VB automatically package the runtimes required to connect to the server? Or do we need to install something else on each machine?

Most likely you will need mySQL's ODBC driver.
    You can download this from the mysql webpage...
    J.D.
    Database Administrator