Unanswered: Text File Import

Quick advice question. I import lots of text files -- many with 50 plus data columns. Few come with a table layout other than perhaps the first row having a set of column names.

When I go to pull them into SQL server the columns default to varchar 8000. Is anyone aware of a tool (as a part of SQL Server or otherwise) that can scan a column of data and recommend a data type and size.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Ray

Provided Answers: 54
    If the columns are fixed width, then I'd recommend using Excel. It does a good job of making educated guesses about columns, and gives you a simple GUI to adjust when it guesses incorrectly.

If the columns are delimited, I'd suggest Perl or something like it.

-PatP

Pat.
    Thanks. Actually i use excel for files with fewer than 65,000 records. Access also has a 'wizard' that helps (it will even give you the SQL to create the table).

Sounds like i've taken it about as far as anyone else has.

Although, I've never worked with Perl so that's a new one...

Ray

Provided Answers: 54
    This is just an odd thought, but would the DTS Wizard do what you want? It isn't quite as "pretty" as Excel, and when it blows a guess, it blows it sky-high, but it isn't bad for most purposes.

If it won't do (especially when you are importing gazillions of files at once), then I'd go with an "idiot-simple" scripting language. That would be the simple solution for "industrial strength" usage, I'd think.

-PatP