Unanswered: stored procedures

may i know the disadvantage of stored procedures

Provided Answers: 1
    Disadvantages in comparison with what?

You have to write the code, it has to work, and you might have to modify it in the future. Some people would call that their job and like it because that is how they make their living.

I'm assuming you want to know about advantages/disadvantages between putting all the code on the client-side, or putting SQL code server-side in stored procedures.

Well, I don't see any drawback to using stored procedures.

Among other advantages :

- They are on the server, so they are easier to tune (they can be tuned apart from the client) and closer to the data.

- PL/SQL cursor cache mechanism is the best one (works with static SQL, even without bind variables, while on client-side apps you ABSOLUTELY NEED BIND VARIABLES - BTW you still need bind variables in calls to stored procs). PLSQL has been made to do SQL.

- By executing several queries in the same stored procedure you avoid several round trips between client and server.

For more precisions, you can have a look at the AskTom website and do a search.

Maybe one drawback would be for manipulating os files, because PLSQL is not that efficient at doing so.

Regards,

RBARAER