Unanswered: good with the access.. time to conquer MySQL(Help with the basics)

I am experienced with programming with Access & VBA, now I am trying to learn MySQL.

Anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on the basics and getting started with installing this on WindowsXP, and possibly converting my existing backend to use this...

any and all help is much appreciated... I need some newbie love here....

I will also be looking to use this on our website...
    Last edited by DackJaniels; 01-21-05 at 12:20.

best place i can think of --> http://mysql.com/

tutorials, download instructions, complete syntax reference manual...

everything you need!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Talking

If you are looking at using it as a standalone then download it from mysql as Rudy says. If you are thinking of using it in conjunction with something like PHP and apache server and more then check out XAMPP at apachefriends.org you can download it and get phpmyadmin and more. it is a seemless install, takes only minutes to get it up and working. I found that the mysql was version 4.0 though and so i then downloaded 4.1 from mysql and installed that in the appropriate directory.

I know this might be jumping ahead but wanted to give you a good place to start if you were thinking of that. I found setting the three of mysql/php/apache seemless here while had a lot of difficulty getting them working when installing as separate items.

As for help forums this is a good one as are ones at sitepoint.com and devshed.com both of which Rudy and I frequent, though I bow to his expertise in all areas.

in all areas? no way

for example, i don't have mysql installed on my own computer, and i don't do php at all (i do coldfusion instead)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

okay in all areas of complicated SQL especially outside of MySQL! ;-)