Thread: MSComm Problems

Unanswered: MSComm Problems

Hello everyone,

I will start by saying that I have no background programming with VB 6.0. To make a long story short, I have been trying to upgrade a VB program (written by someone no longer employed here) from 16-bit to 32-bit. Finally, with the help of a very nice guy named Keith, I have the program running on an XP machine!!!!

Anyway, the program is designed to communicate with a balance (or scale) through the serial port. I have the baud rate, parity, stop & data bits set up properly within the windows device manager. But the program will not communicate with the balance. When the user wants to capture data from the balance they press a "weigh" button within the VB program and the balance responds with the current weight displayed on the balance.

I am able to communicate with the balance via a hyperterminal connection with the settings listed below.

Baud = 2400
    Parity = Even
    Stop Bits = 1
    Data Bits = 7
    Flow Control = None
    Emulation = Auto Detect
    Backscroll buffer lines = 500
    Send line ends with line feed (checked)
    Echo typed characters locally (checked)
    Force incoming data to 7 bits ASCII (checked)
    Wrap lines that exceed terminal width (checked)

All I know about the balance interface is that in order to receive information from the balance you must send the character 'S' and the balance will return a string that must be parsed.

I will post some code in a .txt file below. If you need any other code, please let me know! Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by spyderturbo007; 01-28-05 at 08:33.