Unhappy Unanswered: Re: How can you encrypt a column in SQL Server??

Hi everyone,

How can you encrypt a column in SQL Server?? I have a text box in Access when user types in his/her password I would like the field to display something like **** in the text box. The password field is a field in a table on SQL Server.
    I'm using AC2K and SQL Server 2K.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 54
    Pick an encryption method, and handle it on the client. ROT13 is fine for most casual stuff, BlowFish is good for the really hairy stuff.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 6
    In access, right click on your textbox and go to properties. on the data tab, put Password in the input mask field.

this how ever is not encryption. There are third party dll available that use the RSA cypher and other methods to encrpyt data with public key encryption and you can write the encrypted data to SQL server but you can not really encrypt a column per se.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

You may want to look into SQLShield, but as it was noted before, - the encryption should be done in the front-end code, so that clear-text passwords are not travelling the network.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

sql server 2k gives you the ability to set permissions on a single column in a table if you wish.
    however, you could give users access to the table through a view and not include the pwd column in the view definition.

just an alternative.