Question Unanswered: Access and the Internet

There was a post a few threads back that discussed an online Access database. My post is along the same lines, but I wanted to submit it as a new thread in hopes of gathering more suggestions and advice. I currently have a local (split) Access database that I'm using to track orders. I'm getting ready to open a new location in another state and I'll want them to use the same software to track their orders. I'm trying to accomplish three main goals here:

1) I need to be able to share data with that location in real time so that they can check our inventory and we can check theirs. I've been hearing of these Access data pages and was wondering if thats the road I need to explore. Additionally, when the database is upgraded and a new version is available, I'd want the other location to be able to download it from their system.

2) I need the ability for customers to be able to login to a data page with their account number and password to check the status of orders and see what their current balance is.

3) Along the same lines, I want to store a permissions/serial key on a server and each time the database is opened, I need it to check that key. If the key is valid, it will let the database load, if not, it will prevent execution until a valid key is provided.

I'm sure alot of this is very simple to implement and I've scoured the net for information, but have come up dry. I saw a reply in the previously mentioned thread that referenced "shell", but again, no dice when I search. If anyone could shoot me some suggestions, advice, or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think a huge issue for you is going to be security and I would love to hear from others here on the best means to protecting sites from hackers. That said, I don't think you can deploy Access data access pages over the Internet. You could use another Frontpage/Access option called a Database Interface. That tool will generate the pages you need to view, edit, delete and create new records. I've not had good success with the editor pages, and mostly I use an application called ASPRunner for the record editing end of it.

Hope this helps...

would you not be better seting up a vpn over the internet instead