Unanswered: Convert ntext to nvarchar for ORDER BY?

I need to sort by an ntext field, but it won't let me do it.

However, if I cast the field as nvarchar(100), I can use ORDER BY on that.

Is there any reason that this is a bad idea? In my testing, ordering by a converted ntext field was actually *faster* than ordering by an nvarchar (same data in the fields).

Josh

ntext is for huge chunks of data (up to 2 gigabytes)

if you can easily sort on the first 100 characters, i would suggest that you do so

i can't see that people are going to notice the difference in sort order beyond the 100th character if in fact two 2-gigabyte fields are identical in the first 100 characters

and why sort on 2 gigabytes if you don't have to?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

It doesn't inherently guarantee uniqueness but you might be able to live with that. You wouldn't be able make use of an index on this column.
    Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God holds others in contempt. - Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)

100 characters is plenty for my needs - I just need to sort the recordset for display to the user. Only the first 100 characters will be displayed in the list, anyway.

I'm just wondering if there's a performance penalty due to the conversion, or anything like that.

Thanks!
    Josh

ou will be sorting on a non-indexed column which will be a performance issue.
    Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God holds others in contempt. - Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)

Ok, thanks. These columns are user-customizable, so I don't think we will be using indexes on them. Are there any other issues that I need to worry about?

Josh