Thread: Odbc

Unanswered: Odbc

Hi all,
    I need your help on ODBC.
    I have an application that read data from physical devices.
    I added this apllication in the ODBC system DMS.
    Now, the application data provider is appearing in the ODBC list.
    When I'm trying to link Access table to the Application server, all the link proccess pass correctly. the problem, that Access doesn't allow me to update data in the table also sometimes throws ODBC call failed
    I don't has the problem with importing table.

Is it possible to link tables in ODBS, or not
    What can be the problem.

Please help ...
    Best regards...

Hi,

Have you check if the ODBC driver you are using is correct!?

In this cases, when you want to collect data directly from a machine, the best thing to do is to get the data from a TXT file into your table and not directly to your table.

Note that windows based applications, Ms Access, sometimes doesn't works as we expect in an industrial enviroment, example:

If you want to get from a machine, the working time, units produced, etc. You will need a PLC installed in a machine and you will need the drivers to comunicate with the PLC, this drivers work better in a DOS enviroment rather than windows, so the best way to do is, make a simple DOS application to get the data into a TXT file, and than with Access get the data from the TXT file into your table.

Odbc

Just as a note:

Make sure all the machines have the DSN name spelled the same or you will have problems.

Hi,

Have you try to query the linked table!? If you can get data querying the table, then the error that you have, well, is not error but security of the database of CITECT's program, that doesn't allow you to add records, only to view.

The application of Citect allows you to add/view records manualy!?

I'm not famialiar with Citect's programs, but i have a machine that records information in an Access database, but you can not access the file, it is marked with exclusive.

In this case the PLC doesn't record directly to the tables, a VB application treats the data and then records in the tables.

I have other machines, were the PLC records directly into a file, that if you want to treat the data, you have to export the file to TXT.

Note that i'm talking in two diferent situations or two kinds of managing the information, one with VB and a database platform, were you can do what you want, (If the Software you have allow's it), and other with Assembler were you have a reliable solution, but rigid, were you can do: nothing.

In both cases, i only can read information, but updating or ading values.... It's out of question.

VB to PLC

Hi Migul,
    Can you tell me please how do you tread and get data from the PLC throw VB.
    I have S5 PLC, I think you have a comm. driver to the PLC.
    I connect to the PLC throw Citect,But if there is a way to do that throw VB, It is a good idea.

I looked for ways to communicate to PLC throw VB.
    Please help.
    Best regards...