Thread: Overflow

Talking Unanswered: Overflow

Hi,

I'm trying to use some Access code to validate a database (perform double entry) and I can get a few of the tables to work, but most of htem have hte same error occurring. "Overflow". There is no number or any additional information to explain what is going on. I know nothing of visual basic and am just trying to muddle my way through. Can someone please help me!!

THanks in advance

CIHIKF

Provided Answers: 1
    Chances are good you're overflowing something.

What that is would probably depend on exactly what you're doing.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

a good thing to look for is numbers that are out of range i.e. an integer above 32767
    this was the general source of my overflow errors

Dave

I agree. Look in your table for the way the numbers are stored. Are they compatible with reality? Are they identified as "integer" when you need a "long"? For more information, try the help feature for the "FieldSize Property" for more helpful information, and good luck.

I checked out the field-sizes for the offensive table and they are all small numbers (or text) which have appropriate levels of space available. I think they all had 'long integers', but really the numbers being used are rarely greater than 999.

Overflow

Just a thought:

Do you have any date fields in the table? Are there any dates like 12/03 instead of 12/01/03?

I sometimes get an overflow error with incorrectly formatted date fields.

Thumbs up Solution - COLOR

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up finding out that the thing that was overflowing was the color of the forms. I didn't realize that they were stored as a number and needed to find the information to change from integer to long not in the form itself but in the validation module which was being run through the form. I would NEVER have found that!!

THanks!

I