Question Unanswered: Using a database with domain authentification offline

Ok, here comes the story.

The database servers are running on laptops.
    running as a local user.
    so when the laptop is in the domain the authentification against the servers in the domain and against the local db-server works.

the problem is, if the laptop is not linked to the network, there is no way to authenticate with domain users against the database, although the dbuser group is existent on the local laptop.

if im trying to connect with a local user who is member of the group it works.
    but if its a domain user, it doesnt.

i know y, because the laptop cant verify the USER-SID against the domain.

but is there a chance or hack or tool to buy, to make this work.

jhp
    black_

does noone have an idea? pls ...

jhp
    black_

Will it be possible to define the domain account as a roaming profile so that you'll have the domain profile on your laptop even if you are not connected to the network ?? I have used my DB2 on my laptop this way ...

If you are on V8.2, you may write a dummy security plugin to circumvent the domain user/pwd authentication routine ..

BTW, can you let the forum know why you want to connect to the database as a 'non-existent' user when you are working offline ... If the database, you think is critical to your business needs, then you are compromising on security, which is not a good thing to do ... If it is for usability, then there could always be simpler workarounds ..

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

>BTW, can you let the forum know why you want to connect to the database
    >as a 'non-existent' user when you are working offline ... If the database, you
    >think is critical to your business needs, then you are compromising on security,
    >which is not a good thing to do ... If it is for usability, then there could always
    >be simpler workarounds ..

because our customer wants to ...

but ill try the other things, tia.

i tried the thing with the roaming profile.
    doesn't work for me on UDB 7.2.

could you give more specifiy instructions how you got this to work?

jhp
    black_

I'm afraid, I am not sure how the roaming profile was set up .. I was told that as the roaming profile was set up on the laptop, it is as good as being connected to the domain controller for password purposes ...
    I did have 7.2 installed then, and could use the database without any issues ..

My apologies that I'm not of much help

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.