Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pay scales?

Question pay scales?

Does anyone know of a good reference for researching how much database managers get paid?

your company's payroll database would be a good start
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Database Manager? Is that the same as a DBA?

You Mean Enterprise Manager?

http://www.dice.com/
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

my job

Thanks much for any info and suggestions.

I'm the lone db guy (self-taught, for the last 5 years) at my company and I'm researching what exactly in the hell I'm doing here (and how much, or little, they should really be paying me)...

The db is for an online store (of about 16000 records/products).
    I've designed and built all the procedures for: bringing in new items (and populating the fields), data cleansing, dealing with discontinued items, choosing what/how to display data on the web, calling images, uploading to the webserver, training others to do certain simple tasks in the db (ok, 3 people),
    back ups, etc.

I don't get many other projects. I work on this one single db. I also do some mktg abd graphics work.
    I really don't even know the exact difference between a db manager, a db developer, and a db admin.

the best way to determine how much your current employer should be paying you is to go out on a few interviews and get some feedback on how (or indeed whether) you would qualify

but do not make the mistake of taking this information back to your current employer with the comment "i think i'm worth $X because there's this job over at company Y where they're hiring at that level and i think i can qualify" because a good boss will have one and only one response to this strategy: "okay, fine, it was nice working with you"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

And hey...the fastest way to get ahead is to leave....

Where in the world are you located...if you're in toronto...stay put....

And come on over to the Corral and I'll buy you a virtual drink...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Bad mistake

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    the best way to determine how much your current employer should be paying you is to go out on a few interviews and get some feedback on how (or indeed whether) you would qualify

but do not make the mistake of taking this information back to your current employer with the comment "i think i'm worth $X because there's this job over at company Y where they're hiring at that level and i think i can qualify" because a good boss will have one and only one response to this strategy: "okay, fine, it was nice working with you"

LOL. So what do you recommend one do, with that information?

that part's easy, that is something that only you are capable of, which is to make the decision whether you should

1. take another offer
    2. stay and push for a raise
    3. stay and do something else

personally i've done 3 a number of times in my career, 1 a few times, but never 2

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

pushing

No number 2? Is that because it's difficult pushing for and aquiring a raise?

Also, can anyone clarify the difference between a db manager, a db developer, and a db admin?

I'm wondering if there are any people like this who get paid hourly, like me.

I'm in the same boat as you. Self taught over the past 15 years.
    I'm a combination of developer/admin/user. I have no idea what my
    "official" position would be.

I'm hourly, and have refused offers to go to salary repeatedly. Mostly
    because I would lose money on an annual basis. Besides, I can come in
    on the weekends, do development work for other departments, and charge
    my overtime to them! Everybody's happy, because even on OT, I'm still a hell of a lot cheaper than what company central IT charges.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

scotch

"Will work for Scotch"

Haaa, that's great (but not very redneck!). Instead of a raise I should just ask for Scotch. What do you prefer? I like the Lagavulin myself.

So what in whoever's opinion should be the hourly rate for an access db admin who is the sole admin for a quite large online store at a small to mid-cap west coast US business (approx. 100 employees). No qualifications to speak of except for the fact that the OLS brings in approx 40% of the company's monthly orders and up to $350,000/month (at times).

Hey, any of you elite IT leaders, how much might you pay me?

Thanks for any feedback.

discussion of actual rates is not allowed

(PatP could likely quote you the governing anti-trust legistlation)

you are allowed to discuss the process in general, e.g. "find out the going rate in your city and set your target at minimum + 70% of the difference between minimum to maximum"

you are not allowed to say things like "is a dba really worth $937/hour" or "shouldn't you get $93,700 per year if you know the admin password"?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Quote Originally Posted by trunkstar
    "Will work for Scotch"

Haaa, that's great (but not very redneck!). Instead of a raise I should just ask for Scotch. What do you prefer? I like the Lagavulin myself.
    I'm afraid the older I get, I become more geek, and less redneck.
    But I still like huntin, racin, and 4 wheelin.

I prefer Glenfidich myself. I haven't tried Lagavulin, I have to keep an eye out for it.

If only I could get away with keeping a bottle in my desk...
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

let me revise my ques

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    discussion of actual rates is not allowed

(PatP could likely quote you the governing anti-trust legistlation)

you are allowed to discuss the process in general, e.g. "find out the going rate in your city and set your target at minimum + 70% of the difference between minimum to maximum"

you are not allowed to say things like "is a dba really worth $937/hour" or "shouldn't you get $93,700 per year if you know the admin password"?
    Okay, thanks for letting me know. Don't want to break any anti-trust laws now...

So, let me revise my question. I realize that I could go to one of the popular
    "salary survey" sites and pay for a custom report. But first, I'd rather consult you dbforumers to see if anyone might know "the going rate" for db admins (like myself) in the Pacific Northwest.