Unanswered: more on VSS and editing db?

Hi there,

We have a 2003 ms access db that has multiple users 24 hours a day. There are two developers and changes being made all the time to the front end which is on a server.

The ONLY reason we need visual source safe (IF AT ALL...see below) is to be able to make changes even though not in it exclusively. We used to be able to do this with access 97 but not since we upgraded. We get the message: you do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make chagnes, you may not be able to save them later"

And we never can even if someone is not even in that particular form.

It says: use microsoft visual sourcesafe add-in for microsoft office access"

Is this JUST an addin or do I need the software? I'm not sure what to do and I don't think we need all of the features of the full version.

Could someone advise the best way or where to get what we need?

thanks

"Spawning" a database

See my routine posted on "Spawning" a database. This may help you out.

?

I'm not sure where to look? there is no link? Thanks!

Spawning technique

Try this:

I developed a spawning technique to copy an Access file with the users name attached to it.
    We use MDE's and a "spawning" technique which works quite well. Below is a sample vbs script for spawning a database with the users name added to the MDE file. This makes it easy for us to copy new code to our shared working drive without having all the users exit out and works very well. It's also another way to find out who's using the database as you will see the database name with the user name at the end and an ldb file associated with it.

Here's the vbs code to "spawn" a database called "WhosIn2004.mde" located in \\SQLServer\Databases\Databases\WhosIn\WhosIn2004. mde (UNC Name). Change the LUName to the location of your Access file.

Create a vbs script in notepad (saving it with a .vbs extension) using the following code, then make the vbs script your central file to run for all users:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    GetUser = WshNetwork.UserName
    Set WshNetwork = Nothing

LUName = "\\SQLServer\Databases\Databases\WhosIn\WhosIn2004 . mde"
    'Call Shell(LUName, 1)

Dim objShell
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

objShell.Run "MSAccess.exe " & LUName, 1

Set objShell = Nothing