Unanswered: Varchar2 Question

Somebody told me that when you use varchar2 it's not necessary to specify the size of the string to be displayed.
    ie:
    (CONTENT varchar2);

It gives me errors so I assume it doesn't work.
    Is there any other way of storing a varchar when you don't know how big the size wil have to be?

Provided Answers: 1
    You have to specify the maximum for a VARCHAR2 column. The biggest value allowed is 4000, so you could use VARCHAR2(4000) if you think a value that big is possible.

If you think even 4000 is too small then you could use CLOB. This allows for up to 4 gigabytes.

Stick to VARCHAR2 if possible; it's a lot simpler to work with than CLOB.

Thanks. I don't want to use up unnecessary space so specifying varchar2 will be a waste of space.
    I may use CLOB. I thought that was called BLOB, or are they both the same thing?

You don't want to use CLOB unless its absolutely necessary. Trust me specifying varchar2 is not a waste of space. The only way I would use CLOB is if I had video/pdf...etc files that took up too much space. Stick with Tony's advice.
    Oracle OCPI (Certified Practicing Idiot)

Provided Answers: 1
    Yes, you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick!

If you declare a column as VARCHAR2(4000) and then insert the value 'hat' into it, Oracle only stores 3 characters not 4000. VARCHAR2 is the right way to store text in 99.9% of all cases.

Only use CLOB if you intend to store something really big in there, like a short story or the small print of an insurance policy perhaps.

CLOB = Character Large Object (text)
    BLOB = Binary Large Object (pictures, etc.)

Dont forget varchar2's only take up the same amount of space as the string you put in. So if you put in a short string say size 10 bytes then the column will take up 10 bytes plus a terminating character. Of course if you put a large string and then update it to a short string there will be wasted space in the row.

Alan

The field might contain an image as well as text (it's optional) so I dunno,I'll see. Thanks for the advice anyway.