Exclamation Unanswered: help with REGEXP

Howdy folks,

Ok i've never been good with regexp but need some help. What i need to do is get a query to a database that looks at the last number of a sequance of numbers and compares it to a prefined number that will be passed via PHP.

So for example i have a variable (in php) contianing 1,2 and need to find any results in the table base that has a sequance of numbers in a field that can contain anywhere from 5 - 7 numbers. (e.g. 12345 or 123456 or 1234567).

What i do know is that i can find the last digit using the $ but am lost trying to figure out how to get the query put together under this situation.

Any help would be very much appreciated as i need to get this done asap.

please rephrase the question

your variable contains '1,2' and you want to find that string where? does the found column value have to have 5-7 digits, or will you also want to see values that might have fewer?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Sorry for the lack of information.

The field will contain strings of number ranging from 5 - 7 digits long, possably more but not fewer then 5. He's a mock up of the database field.

ID--NUMBER-------
    1| 123452
    2| 123456
    3| 12345
    4| 1234567
    5| 123456
    6| 1234567
    7| 12345
    -------------------

All i realy need is to locate any numbers in the field that end with a particular number. So in the example would be 1 or 2 (these will change with PHP but will always be 2 numbers).

The query will return the entire record and not just this number. I'm using it in a where clause to reduce the overall number of returns on the query. So above if i was looking for any records with the numbers 7 or 8 i would retunr the ID's 4 and 6 and none of the other records.

I'm not sure i totaly understand what your asking for i hope that was it.

I'm assuming something like ^[0-9]$[1|2] ?

well if the field will contain strings of numbers, do you really need to use regexp to verify that it contains a string of numbers?

if all you want is to check the last digit, try this --

... where right(number,1) in ('7','8')
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Ok that worked erfectly, thanks so much for your help.