Unanswered: Select which Printer to Print To

I've checked out the MSDN library on the printer application but I can't seem to figure out how to call on a certain printer when printing

if anyone has any code or a lil guidance to get me on my way that would be greatly appreciated

Are you trying to print your VBA? Surely you know that you can click on File, Print, Setup... and select your printer output. You also know that you can change your printer in Page Setup, the Page tab, Use Specific Printer, and select your favorite printer. What are you really trying to do?

Sam

I think I know what he wants to do because I want the same thing, but I want to do it in code. Scenario:

User A is looking at a record that they have only read privileges for, User A notices that some information is incorrect but can't change it. On the form ther is a command button titled [Change information on record] which is coded (right now) to print at their DEFAULT printer only the current record so they can write on it and forward to the forms administrator. User B need to request a volunteer form the volunteer coordinator (in a different building, but on the same network) to do some job. in the same DB, just a different form. We wish to creeate a [Print Request] command button that will print the form at a specific printer only every time no matter where the user is in our building.

yes there is a docmd.printout (or something to that effect as with user A) but ther is no, at least as far as I know, nothing like docmd.Printtospecific(PubAffPrinter) where Pubaffprinter is the specific printer name on the network, so no matter what the default printer is it will always print to the volunteer coordinator.

I think that is what DackJaniels is trying to do also

HTH in coming up with something, and if I am incorrect in my assumption - another problem to explore and solve.

Kevin

what i am trying to do as in the "Adobe Distiller" post that I have going right now is use Adobe Distiler to "print"(create) PDF backups of my "pickupsheet" and "Bill of Lading" reports. Distiller acts as a printer but instead of physically printing the file it prints to a file, changing it from Access report to PDF.

Each of these reports has to be named by the [Reference#] field.

Pickupsheet - [Reference#].pdf
    Bill of Lading - [Reference#]-BOL.pdf

thats why changing the printer is so important, if it was another user in another building it would print to their default printer

The way I would do it is to print the report to screen (very often the report prints behind your current window, so the user has to click on the Window menu to find it). With the report open, the user can click on Files/Print, change the printer and print it. There might also be a way to change the default printer for Access using DoCmd.RunCommand, but I'm not sure. I don't have all the documentation I need to study that command.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    The way I would do it is to print the report to screen (very often the report prints behind your current window, so the user has to click on the Window menu to find it). With the report open, the user can click on Files/Print, change the printer and print it. There might also be a way to change the default printer for Access using DoCmd.RunCommand, but I'm not sure. I don't have all the documentation I need to study that command.

Sam
    It's definitely deeper than that.. I know how to call on the second printer... it's the PDF Save As Dialog box popping up that is the pain

Dack,

attached is screenshot of the adobe property that does not prompt you for a name or path.

In access this is accessed through page setup in a report's design view and these settings are specific to each report.

The link below shows vba code to change your default printer prior to running the report, then setting it back again after the report is run:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2coff=1&rnum=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg