Unanswered: Record Locked or not locked!??

Hi,

I can see in this forum, that many people uses record lock property in a multiuser enviroment, and there are many opinions of the advantage in using it. One, is because one user can modify a record of another user, as i understand reading in som threads.

Now, i don't understand why is that, because i have an Access file shared to 5 users and no protection to the records, the records are not locked and the database workes fine with no loss of data. the all 5 users can put data at the same time to the same table and modify their records too, that nothing weird happens.

I would like you to explain me why it is better to set the property record lock=true?

Thanks!

What do you mean that they're not locked??? Access has only 2 record locking schemes: Row Level and Table Level. Access is locking the record late (using optimistic locking) most likely ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Hi M Owen,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about my explanation, but my Access is in Portuguese and the translation wasn't good.

Yes i use optimistic lock. What i mean is, why some people use pessimistic lock!?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel
    Hi M Owen,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about my explanation, but my Access is in Portuguese and the translation wasn't good.

Yes i use optimistic lock. What i mean is, why some people use pessimistic lock!?
    Well ... With optimistic locking the dsriver locks the row at the last possible second to perform the write. With pessimistic locking the driver locks the row upon selection...

Mike - i believe pessimistic locks on first edit, not on read ...but i don't use pessimistic so could well be wrong.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    Mike - i believe pessimistic locks on first edit, not on read ...but i don't use pessimistic so could well be wrong.

izy
    I stand corrected. I guess my understanding is slightly out of date ...

Thank you for your replys.

Can i have problems with optimistic lock!? I never had problems with my database, but...

I'm refering that, because there are many people using pessimistic lock. Is there an advantage of using it!?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel
    Thank you for your replys.

Can i have problems with optimistic lock!? I never had problems with my database, but...

I'm refering that, because there are many people using pessimistic lock. Is there an advantage of using it!?

Thanks!
    As izy corrected me on ... With pessimistic locking, the row is locked at the beginning of the edit. As to your first question, generallly no ... Optimistic works just fine ...

The advantage to pessimistic is that you can be assured that no one can sneak in and update your record prior to your doing so ... or deleting it ... or ...

Thank you all for the explanation!!!

I just wanted to be sure, because my database has 5 users and it's getting bigger. the backend is located in a server and the frontends on the pc's.

I think there's no problem. Thank you once again!