Unanswered: Question on the BCP Utility

Hi All,

I have a question regarding copying data between Oracle and Sybase databases. Basically, here is the scenario that I have:

Oracle : Table has Field1, Field2 and Field3

Sybase : Table1 has Field1
    Table2 has Field2
    Table3 has Field3

I need to be able to copy the 3 fields: Field1, Field2 and Field3 from the Sybase tables to the Oracle table.

Oracle DB and Sybase DB are running on two different servers in
    different GEOs.

If I can get the data in a flat file from Sybase in a comma delimited form, I can load it into the Oracle table using the Oracle SQL*Loader utility.

Here is my question: I read about a utility called BCP in Sybase. Is it possible to get the comma delimited file as required by me from all the 3 tables. If somebody can provide me with an example or explain how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Basically I am not too familiar with Sybase. Apologies if this is too simple a question for this forum.

hi,you can not bcp three tables in one single command.
    I suggest you bcp them out seperately and paste them together with comma.

Provided Answers: 4
    You can create a view on the three Sybase tables:
    create view vs_sybase as
       select Field1, Field2, Field3
       from Table1, Table2, Table3
       where <insert correct joining conditions>
    Then, bcp-out the data of the view, and import that data ni the Oracle-table.

Good luck!
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Thanks very much, Martijnvs amd Mor, for your suggestions. Hope you don't mind me asking one more, me being a newbie to Sybase. Would I be able to create the commas in my flat file once I do the bcp? (Ex. a,b,c)

Use the -t option on the bcp utility.

bcp mydb..vs_sybase out filename -t, -c -U user -P password

That does it, PhantomDBA! Thanks very much. You guys are all so very helpful. Thank you.

, vs tabs

you can use the default sperator (tab) for bcp... in sqlldr control file just mention the sepetor as tab..