Unanswered: Cannot import dbf file

I'm trying to transfer data between a Filemaker 7 database to an MS Access database. I export the data to a dbf file, but when I try to import it in Access, it protests: "Can't find the object 'companies.dbf'. Check that the object exists and that you've provided the correct path". This is a rough translation of the error by the way.

Access asks me which file I want to import, I browse to and double-click the file, but Accesss can't find the file. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddish
    I'm trying to transfer data between a Filemaker 7 database to an MS Access database. I export the data to a dbf file, but when I try to import it in Access, it protests: "Can't find the object 'companies.dbf'. Check that the object exists and that you've provided the correct path". This is a rough translation of the error by the way.

Access asks me which file I want to import, I browse to and double-click the file, but Accesss can't find the file. What's going on?
    Hi Oddish,

What is the Native file format for Filemaker 7?? Did you try to see if Access could import the file direct from Filemaker instead of the exported DBF file?

have a nice one,
    BUD

Provided Answers: 59
    if there is no native import / export ie filemaker to access in either program then I'd be tempted to try a CSV or delimited text export in preference to going through another database format.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddish

Hi,

In my experience, Access can no longer (2000 and above, I think) directly import dbf database files. You have to go thru ODBC. Do you know how to do that?

Sam

Try renaming the file. I have run into cases where I could only use eight characters to the left of the '.' This phenomena goes back to old file naming rules 8.3. Eight to the left and three to the right.

You can test it by renaming the file to Test.dbf

Importing a dbf file

I haven't had any problems importing dbf files into Access XP. I'm guessing your problem has something to do with the file itself or where it's saved. Try saving it to another location and then importing it.

Thanks for all the answers! It seems the name was the problem, because it worked fine when I chose a shorter name.