Unanswered: Need help with Oracle 9.2.0.4 installation on Red Hat Linux ES3 Server

Hi gurus,

We are trying to get Oracle 9iR2 (9.2.0.4) installed correctly and a new database created on our Red Hat Linux Enterprise Server 3 (32bit). After many headaches with the buggy Oracle runinstaller we did managed to get the barebones Oracle binaries installed and I was able to get an instance running. However, when I want to create a new database there are no controlfiles present after I installed the Oracle binaries and SQLPLUS. Can anyone help me out with how to get the database created and Oracle controlfiles created with just the Oracle instance and binaries? I keep getting errors when I try to

sql> connect / as sysdba

sql> startup mount

ORA-27123, LINUX Error 2

ORA-00205: error in identifying control file

We have neither a database, no datafiles, and no controlfiles because I only loaded the binaries for the instance and sqlplus. Checked metalink but no solution exists because they assume you already have a database created and controlfiles. How can I resolve this problem? Thanks!!!

I'm sorry, but it doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about. I suggest reeading the below link to create a database from the commandline. This will probably lead you in the right direction. Actually, if you just follow the steps it would be impossible to go wrong (assuming you have done the install correctly).

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/admin/cre...bmanually.html
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    when all else fails, RTFM
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...te.htm#1015206

while you are at it, you might want to also RTFM
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96524/toc.htm
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

update

We decided to just go with Windows instead of Red Hat because it is far easier to install and support. Red Hat sucks with Oracle!!! I read and performed all of the pre-install, pre-req steps, and install steps that are in the Oracle and Red Hat documentation. Nothing works and I suspect serious bugs in the java libraries that the Oracle java GUI runinstaller uses on Red Hat Linux. I have never had this much trouble with Oracle on Solaris, AIX, HP-UX or Windows. Thanks for the info.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    YMMV.
    I painlessly installed Oracle 10g on a new RH FC3 box; even tho Oracle does not claim to support this configuration.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

9.2.0.4 bugs

I have not installed 10G however based on what I have read on the internet, Oracle 9.2.0.4 has a lot of bugs in the installation process. Sounds like 10G is a lot easier to deal with. Unfortunately we need to use software that is not compatible with 10G so we are stuck with 9.2.0.4 (9iR2).

software not compatible with 10g? strange
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...