Unanswered: Upgrade problems with ver97 to ver2003
My company will be upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2003 in a couple of months. I did a test upgrade with a database today, and it went horribly. The data tables converted OK, but a lot of forms- including those used for menus- did not import at all. I tried using File/Import from 2003 to grab those forms after the conversion. It said "OK" but the forms did not import.
Sooooooo, does this mean I'll have to do a lot of forms and maybe even reports over again? I'm thinking of first importing to 2002 (another network has 2002), and then moving to 2003. Will this make it easier on me? Are there any good references on this?
The only problems I've had with upgrades was mostly with ActiveX controls. You shouldn't have any problems with upgrading the database from 97 to 2003. Are you using DAO or ADO code? It's difficult to diagnose your problem without more info or seeing it but make sure you've debugged the 97 version before upgrading. That's the only help I can give you. Sorry.
Others might have better input.
Also as a note: I did have problems when I had Access 2000 and Access 2002 on the same machine. I found that if you import a form and don't IMMEDIATELY debug it before you change any code, you'll end up trashing the database and have to run it in a decompile state. If you import forms/reports from 97 to 2003, make sure you debug it immediately after you do the import of the forms/reports before you do any code changes. Hope that helps in some way. You may have to import the forms one at a time, debug, then import the next form/report.
Thanks for the tip, I will try importing one at a time like you said. I did debug and compile the 97 database before converting to 2003. Access 97 and 2003 are both installed on the test machine I used.
As far as what's going on, when I convert to 2003, I get the usual VB conversion errors, which usually means you just have to fix the code, but then a lot of the forms are missing, and it won't let me import them from the 97 database. It acts as if all's OK when I try, but then the forms aren't there! It seems the missing forms are the forms with VBA code, but the ones without code convert fine.
I don't quite understand the problem. When I confronted the same issue several months ago, all I had to do was:
1) Open Access in a new blank database.
2) From within Access, I opened the OLD (97) version of the file. Access asked if I wanted to convert it to the new version (either 2002 or 2003, I don't remember), and I clicked Yes. Access did the rest, and the VBA code ran fine.
Oh, yes, I don't think it'll work if you simply double-click on the old database in Windows, and expect Access to detect the version discrepancy. I don't know why, but that didn't work for me.