Greenville, SC

Unanswered: What is the easiest way to save a single report? PDF, webpage, etc.??

Trying to find the best way create a single page out of a purchase order "report".

Is there a way to save as lets say... a webpage? I like this because most people can open a webpage with their browser.

To do just the single report, would I have to set up a query to display just that report?

Thank You,
    Gotta to do some code

You can always close it and right click and choose "Save As" but instead of saving it as a report you can save it as a Data Access Page, the formating gets kinda messed up so you might have to edit it as a Data Access Page to get it to look right, not so bad if it is a one time deal but doing it a lot could be tedious. If the person viewing it will have Access you can Export it as a SnapShot, that is probably the easiest way to do it and have it look exactly like your report. I am still pretty new to access so there is probably a better way out there.

Cleveland USA

If the report is not too fancy with lots of graphics and lines, I'd recommend using rich text format. For my databases, I create a toolbar for reports, and one of the choices is "Publish with MS Word", which creates a rich text file. You lose any lines, and maybe the graphics, but the text still lines up fine, and the file size stays pretty small. If the report is more like a long list of data, then Excel might be a choice. If you want to make sure no one can change the report, then PDF is the way to go, but check the formatting first. Access can also export to snapshot format, but not everyone has the software to view it, and the file size can be large.

Florida, US
    you can always save it as snapshot fiel. and you can hand out free MS snapshot viewers to your clients.

It depends on the graphics in the report. I inherited a report in the company that utilized tons of Access graphics (divider lines, colors, etc) and I found that acrobat was the only format that preserved these without problems. Unfortunately, it takes some work to use acrobat - especially acrobat 6. The distiller with acro 6 does not allow you pass the path of the resulting file as part of the program call, so I had a tetchy system where pdf prints to the My Documents folder (the acro 6 default if you've set it not to ask for a filename), then used vba to move the file from My Documents to the network location I wanted. I then had to write a pause function because my solution was trying to move the file before acro had finished writing to the file.

If you have creative control over the report, it's well-worth your time to reformat it to use as little graphics as possible - including lines, rectangles, and frames. It is ironic that MS access cannot preserve these shapes to MS Word while Crystal Reports can.

I am now migrating all of my Access reports to Crystal Reports. It's just a smoother reporting method (and its good to put on your resume).

I was a little surprised that Access03 did not incorporate chm output (compiled html) - which actually does preserve all graphics - but now I understand they are trying to push their proprietary mht format which is not going over very well.

Bottom line on this rambling post: if you minimize graphics, rtf or html is a good choice (xls for datasheets works well too); if you want to keep graphics and your company will not spring for crystal reports, a little elbow grease can get acrobat working for you. My preference is Crystal Reports.

Of course, the best format for preserving graphics (and the fastest processing) is Access's native snp (snapshot) format, but this requires all recipients to download and install the MS snapshot viewer. I experimented with this on the job and found that, even if you put the link for the viewer download in the form email with the report, the majority of recipients were unhappy with this format.