Unanswered: Working with the same database with & without LAN connection

friends,

I installed DB2 v8.1.3 in my laptop windows-xp. When i installed it, i'm in office with a wirless LAN connection. My machine's authentication is domain-specific, meaning i will logon to my machine with a particular domain name and password.
    Then i unplugged my laptop and went to home where i don't have a connection. I logon into the machine with the same password. When i tried to connect to the database, it throws authentication error.

SQL30082N Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "24"
    ("USERNAME AND/OR PASSWORD INVALID"). SQLSTATE=08001

How to work with the same DB2 database at home as well as at office. Your help is much appreciated.

Jake

I don't have access to a Windows XP machine connected to a Windows Domain right at this moment, so this answer may not be exact.

Go to "Windows Services" and double-click on all the DB2 services. Select the "Log On" tab and change it to a local account. Then restart your machine.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks for your reply. I tried it and unfortumately it didn't work. I don't think it's a specific issue occuring in windows xp. It'll occur in any windows PC connected to office LAN. You can test it by disabling the LAN connection in your PC. Please help me to find a solution.

Jake

I had the exact same issue, and it worked for me. Like I said, I don't have access to the machine where I tried it (and don't have access to an XP machine), so maybe my instructions were not exactly correct. But if you change the userid that owns/starts the DB2 service it should work the way you want.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

To me it appears that Jake's problem is that he cannot connect to DB2. He has not given any indication that DB2 itself is out of action. If DB2 was out, I would have expected a SQL30081N type error.

What authentication type are you using? In some circumstances I have found that I've had to setup a local user id on the server and then connect supplying the local user-id and password. If the local userid is the same as the domain user-id then DB2's authorisation should be the same.

James Campbell

sorry for the delay in getting back to you... here is my machine details...

My machine is in a domain account and hence when i install the DB2 in my machine, it verifies the domain name and account information from the domain server which resides in my office LAN... while installing, I cannot omit domain name as it clearly says the username/password is incorrect... once i installed with the domain account, i can not use the database without the domain server in my network connection which accepts my login account details...

the solution should be what james suggests... i have to create a local account in my machine that is same as the domain user-id/ password.... if i install the database in this local account, then db2 will not look into the domain server for authentication and hence i should able to use the database with as well as without LAN connection, or with domain user-id / local user -id....

but i couldn't test it yet... i tried to create a local account in my machine that is same as domain user-id... unfortunately, my domain-user id is same as my machine name and hence windows does not allow me to create a local account same as the machine name... i am in contact with my system administrators... i'll get back to u once i succeeded...

btw, is there any other ways to ask DB2 not to look into the domain name or to use a user name & password configured by me during installation or later...

appreciate your efforts...

Jake

I think changing the machine name is going to be the easiest thing to do. Maybe not "easy" but "easier than anything else".

James Campbell

thanks James & Feldman,

at last it worked... i changed the machine name and created a local account in my machine with the user-id same as domain user-id. then installed the DB2 using the local account. now it is working fine with & without LAN connection.

appreciate your efforts...

Jake