Thread: 9i migration

Unanswered: 9i migration

Hello,

I am confused about 8.1.7 to 9i migration. I do not know whether to use upgrade assistant or import export. Can somebody suggest a good link or book? I am looking for all the details such as whn to change initialization parameters, file compatibilities etc ... Please help. I am confused.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

If you can setup a new instance and do imp/exp then I would suggest this is the best way. That way you can do your tuning and testing while still having your old 8i database available in case things go wrong. If you dont have a spare server or disk space then upgrade assistant may be the only way of doing it, be careful though as the 9i optimizer is very different to the 8i one and you may have to do quite a bit of performance tuning.

Alan

>> That way you can do your tuning and testing while still having your old 8i database available in case things go wrong.

Is this not possible by using upgrade assistant?

Its a longer process to back out, if you have two database 8i and 9i then the back out procedure will probably just be changing tnsnames.ora. Also you can do comparisons between the two databases etc.

Alan

Ensure that you get the latest patches as well ... 9.2.0.4 is VERY buggy !!!
    In order to get decent performance, you will basically have to use the
    optimizer at 8.1.7 compatibility. 9.2.0.5 is not too bad, at least you can use
    the optimizer at Oracle 9 level.... I've not had problems with 9.2.0.6 ...
    You will have to upgrade in steps as you have to install a New Oracle Installer at 9.2.0.2 level (I believe that's the right version)

HTH
    Gregg