Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Need step by step

At current we are using an Excel sheet to track our loads (trucking brokerage), we would like to use Access so that all 4 dispatchers can view and edit. It is a simple spread sheet:

Carrier Shipper Destination etc
    Tonka GoldKist Detroit, MI

I have set up a database, (not a clue what I'm doing) to look just like the Exccel spread sheet. I am able to enter on my computer then go over to other computer and refresh and see data.....but not vice versa. I am doing something wrong and would just like to start from scratch.

Can someone give me step by step how to set up simple multiuser Access database that we can all see, edit when needed, and what the steps are to use editing?

THIS WOULD BE SO AWESOME!

Provided Answers: 1
    So uh... you want us to tell you how to build an application, from scratch?

I'll avoid being a sharp-tongued asshole here, as that's my first reaction to such a post.

Might I suggest picking up a beginner access book? The for-dummies version isn't too bad. Whereas you're only looking to build a very simple application, you would be able to learn everything you need there in a couple days of solid study.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

**Use a form.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    So uh... you want us to tell you how to build an application, from scratch?

I'll avoid being a sharp-tongued asshole here, as that's my first reaction to such a post.

Might I suggest picking up a beginner access book? The for-dummies version isn't too bad. Whereas you're only looking to build a very simple application, you would be able to learn everything you need there in a couple days of solid study.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

**Use a form.
    I apologize, and the language was not needed, I take offense. I thought it was simple, like open here, enter your data, check this, done. Forgive me for my ignorance...I didn't mean to ask for too much help. I really thought it was simple.

First time to post here and I get cussed at...my...won't come back here again!

Thanks for the advice though, didn't realize it was more complicated, I will do just as you suggested and by a book and teach myself.

GOD BLESS YOU and your POTTY MOUTH!

Huh, if I would have known you were going to react like that, I would have gone the "sharp-tongued-asshole" route.

Good luck to ya!

I'm afraid there's a bit of work to be done before I'd recommend a split (front end, back end) database viewable over a network connection...

I would seriously suggest you get a book (Access for Dummies is not a bad place to start). Think of splitting your database into front and back ends and, oh there'es just so much more .....

I'm not sure this forum is the place to start. Try to read up a little on how to build a database then post when you start tryng to implemnet your ideas and hit problems.

Ouch, my reply seems to have been a bit late (working on something else at the same time).

Do you think I was too harsh?

cj we get a lot of students here asking us to do there homework for them,
    this we refuse to do and always will,
    In your situation it would be best to buy a book, there are some pretty good ones out there, when you come accross a particular stumbiling block people are more than happy to help

i.e. im really struggling with this query how can i ssort it or how do i do this particular instance

have a play with access and it will show you a ton of power, this comes from someone who uses xl everyday,

and just a final note you wernt being cussed at, teddy was mearly indicating, how strong a reaction it could have been as what you are asking for is complete work for free,

Ive never used the for-dummies books but have heard they are very good, i tend to deal with the SAMS books myself (which i nicked off of my sister)
    good luck with your db

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Huh, if I would have known you were going to react like that, I would have gone the "sharp-tongued-asshole" route.

Good luck to ya!
    It would have been very nice of you to just explain that it is a little more complicated instead of being rude as you were.

I am new at this and honestly didn't mean to offend anyone.

You didn't need to cuss and assume I knew it was such a big thing to ask. THen you just had fun doing it again.

If I had walked into yours or anyone's business and asked a question and they replied in the manner you did, they wouldn't have my business.

I belong to several different forums and I have asked some stupid questions but no one every replied to me the way you did. I also donate a lot of money to these other forums, because they are nice and helpful...they don't cuss at me are 'type' at me like I'm stupid as you did.

This one is not so good and I won't be back.

Again, may God Bless you and your potty mouth!!!!
    I'm OUTTA here.

Provided Answers: 59
    CJ
    If I had walked into yours or anyone's business and asked a question and they replied in the manner you did, they wouldn't have my business.
    I think the 'business' bit is the issue, virtually all contributors (including Teddy) to this forum is generally very helpfull and willing to help out. But they can't do it for you. It also tries to deter a business relationship. Yes may be Teddy's language could be interpreted one way. In the same manner your language could be inteerpreted as secondary / high school language. It didn't come accross as a serious request for help.

Once you Access apllication is set up it is defactor a multi user application, assuming that the application is on a network visible drive. There are things to do to tweak the application, such as splitting the data from the forms and reports and issues to do with record locking and data integerity. These are concepts best studied away from the screen. Depending on your degree of computer knowledge I've always felt the 'for dummies' series of books are OK targeted at 'dummies' but If you are reasonably technically savvy then there are other books which cover what you want. They are however heavy going if you are not up to speed with Visual basic & Access.

Quote Originally Posted by cj2448
    It would have been very nice of you to just explain that it is a little more complicated instead of being rude as you were.

You didn't need to cuss and assume I knew it was such a big thing to ask. THen you just had fun doing it again.

I belong to several different forums and I have asked some stupid questions but no one every replied to me the way you did. I also donate a lot of money to these other forums, because they are nice and helpful...they don't cuss at me are 'type' at me like I'm stupid as you did.

I'm OUTTA here.
    Sorry to hear that ... But hey, Ted has seen these open ended questions millions of times ... And for that matter so have I. I generally don't even respond. Your request can be summed up this way: We don't know how far you want to go ... How complex do you want to make it? How robust?

As for your comparison to a business: I don't see any shingle hung out here ... Oh, and Ted did not cuss at you. He stated that he'd refrain from his "SPECIAL" response ... Mighty thin skinned there aren't you?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Excel to Access

This may be a bit late as it seems cj2448 didn't like the responses he got but you could try this to get you started:

1. Create a new Access database.
    2. Select File, Get External Data, Link Tables.
    3. Find your excel spreadsheet and link it into Access. This way, if you (or another user) makes edits to the Access table or edits to the Excel table, you'll see the changes in either file. Note: if you move the excel file to another location you may have problems. Also, it's best to try to make sure the header row in excel doesn't have spaces, odd characters. When you link the excel file, check the box "First row contains column headings".
    4. Then you can create a form in Access via the wizards based on the Access table and go on from there.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for but I'd thought I'd reply anyway if you're still viewing these messages and if this would be of any help.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

...stuff...
    Wow! Religious zealotry, soap box preaching and a thinly vieled attempt to use financial status for politcal gains all in the same post! You really ran the gambit there, kudos!

PS: Please refrain from spamming your religious remarks in the technical forums, it's offensive.
    Last edited by Teddy; 01-31-05 at 13:17.

I'm OUTTA here.
    Dude,

That first post by Teddy was not offensive at all, I have no clue how you can be offended by what he posted. He was merely expressing his surprise that someone asked such a basic question on a forum like this, and I share his amazement. I mean, the first thing you do if you want to learn a thing about Access or Excel or whatever, you type in Google: "Access tutorial beginner" and off you go. I think it's a bit lame to walk in to ANY business totally blank and ask "Hi, i'm new and happy, please teach me the beginnings of your business, I don't know anything!".

THen you just had fun doing it again.
    He didn't badmouth you the first time. However, you came back like a crybaby, horribly offended by I have no clue tbh. He just told you to plz try and find some info yourself before asking here? Even IF you felt offended, you think the right way to react is to offend back?? You have some growing up to do.

I also donate a lot of money to these other forums, because they are nice and helpful..
    I have NO clue why you are posting this, unless you are trying to demonstrate how a nice, well-doing, god-fearing individual you are and by this trying to convice yourself and us that you MUST be right in this conflict. Either way, totally irrelevant, maybe even inappropriate.

But, since you won't be back, you probably won't read this.

Good Lord.....

Are we now saying that we haven't seen more extremely mundane questions than this?

The fundamental question is very simple.

Databases (and I'm not saying Access is really a database) are not like "Files". This is the simple concept that could have (and should have) been relayed to the poster. The concepts of separating data layers and application layers and all that entails could have been subsequent posts, or different posts.

And the differences between Access 97 and 2000 also points to how and why they need to be isolated.

Now to our "freind". Frustration has nothing to do with this business. * To succeed, you better realize now that for the most part, you're on your own. If you get help, great! Be thankful. It's an extremely competitive market out there...and the person who gets the job done, will get the work. The one who can't deliver or whines will get canned. It's just that simple.

* OK, clarity. It is a frustrating business...but all of that needs to be remived from the equation, otherwise you'll start blaming "miracles" as to why things don't appear to operate the way they do. (I'm not sayingf M$ doesn't help the misconception along with their quirkiness sometimes).

There are no Miracles.

Man, what a diatribe.

MOO

P.S. Please feel free to send me a PM if you need help, unless I pissed you off, then perhaps not.
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Brett,

I think Mr. Whiny-Ass is done with this forum because we're not respecting him ... YEE-HAW!

I didn't realize that my free advise and help was supposed to be business-like ... That I'm supposed to be polite all the time to everyone ... Kiss their butts and be grateful that they dein to ask me questions ...

All hail: cj2448 the mighty jackass!

- Mike

P.S. - I insulted this clown more than Ted did ... But, WHO CARES!!!!
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...