Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Disabling the roller ball

Ok, I have disabled the right click button in my application and that part is easy enough but how do I disable the center roller ball on the mouse? I do not want the user to be able to just scroll through the records using the roller ball. Can someone help me with this? Is there a check box I'm missing that will disable this feature as well? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    Depends upon the version of the mouse you are using.

For Mouse 1.0, turn the unit over, twist the retainer plate counter-clockwise, and pop the ball out.

For Mouse 2.0, apply a small piece of electrical tape to the laser emitter.

I recommend you put these intructions in a pop-up alert on your form when you want the mouse disabled.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

This is not what I mean. I want them to be able to still use their mouse and that kind of thing. I'm talking about the center roller that allows you to scroll down the screen and through records and things like that. A lot of people use them when viewing web pages or large files rather than using the scroll bar to the far right of the screen. I'm not talking about the ball at the bottom of the mouse.

Perhaps lopping off the middle fingers of all your users would work? It may sound drastic, but it is sure to give you great personal satisfaction.

OK. I will bite. Why the heck do you feel you need to do this?

blindman

Question

That is a little drastic but I may consider it The reason I need to do this is because I do not want the user to be in the user form and entering the appropriate information that they will be putting into the table and accidentally bump the scroller ball and all of a sudden they are on a different record all together without even realizing it. Through testing, it's already happened a couple of times and it's frustrating to me as the developer because they think something drastic has happen when all they've done is moved to a different record without realizing it. So I figured that if I could disable the scroller ball then we'd be good to go. I've already disabled the right click feature so I'm pretty sure that the ball can be disabled(without harm to the user) but I'm just missing it somewhere. Any ideas? I've thought about just putting in cheap mouses that don't have scroll balls at all on the machines that the users will be using but would rather do it the right way first

Perhaps you could tie some code to the form's BeforeUpdate event that would ask the user to confirm changes to the data. If the user answers no, then cancel the action that moves to the next record.

blindman

Thanks guys....I will try that link and see what happens. It looks like it should work

Good find, bmacr

blindman

Provided Answers: 59
    That solution requires the insatllation of a DLL, can't see every systems team accepting that requirement. Certainly I know I'd have no chance of installing a DLL. I think blindmans suggestion is the best

find out what event is being triggered by the wheel move and inhibit it.

Both are good suggestions and will work. I have the ability to install DLL's, though, so this seems like the best solution for my application but both of the ideas will probably work. As long as the user cannot user their scroller ball, I'm fine With the group I'm writing this for, I've found that the fewer ways you give them to do things the better off we all are So I've resorted to making sure that there is only one way to do everything so that there is less likelihood of something getting messed up or the user getting confused

No chance of installing a DLL? DLL get installed by just about every application you load on a PC these days.

I haven't tested bmacr's suggestion, but in theory it is better than my scotch-tape and elmer's glue solutions.

blindman

Provided Answers: 59
    The systems support team at my place of work do not let any / everyone install DLL's or anthing that may effect the suppositry [aka repository] on the grounds that it may affect the systems and corrupt the standard platform. There is no write access to windows/system & system32, no ability to install any software, unless it affects only that directory/application

regular auditing check for rogue DLL's and removes them without warning. In short can't / won't

Am I missing something? Why don't you set the Default View property of your form to "Single Form," and turn off the scroll bars and record navigation buttons. Then program new homemade navigation buttons to perform only deliberate record jumpings. That way no one will accidentally jump to another record.

Sam

The mouse wheel will still scroll, even with those options set.

blindman