Smile Unanswered: Adding a record to a Table

Hi -

I am trying to write the code that will add a record to a different table if the field of an existing form is updated with a new value. Think of it as a Track Changes program. I am not sure how to go about this, but I know that it can be done.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks!

You can add the following script under the AfterUpdate event of that field on the existing form.

docmd.runsql "INSERT INTO table ......"

Hope this helps

SHK

Question

SHK -

It keeps giving me an error that the macro docmd does not exist. Also, does this mean I'd have to have a separate code for each field in a form? Thanks again!

What version of Access do you have?
    If you want to keep track of the changes on each field on the form, then yes, you will need a script for each field. You can have the INSERT INTO statment in a sub and have all the AfterUpdate calls the sub.

SHK

Access 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Jennay
    Access 2000
    Tried it in the debugging window (CTRL+G)? (entering the DoCmd-statement there i mean?)
    Tried f1 (help) for the DoCmd.RunSQL - syntaxis?

(I don't have Access 2000 here, else I would have checked it )

Can you post a sample of your program and I will take a look.

SHK

In VBA, click on the Tools Menu, and select References. Scroll down to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library. If it is not checked, check it. That will ensure you have the proper commands and features available to you.

If it is telling you that theDoCmd Macro does not exist it sounds like you mis-interpreted waht was being said ( I could be wrong though)
    It seems that in the blank beside " After Update" you typed in what SHK said. That will not work.
    to right of the blank click on the box with the three dots, select code builder, then type in the code you want to use.
    Darasen