Unanswered: "shared memory not initialized for INFORMIXSERVER ..." problem

Hi all,

I am running IDS 7.3 on Win2k. I have a mysterious problem like this.
    I register the IDS running as Windows service whose execution command is like this.

"d:\informix7.3\bin\onscpah.exe ol_reshrs"

I use onstat and get the above error msg.

However, if i start the server from commandline using oninit , and then using onstat, the shared memory is successfully initialized. That is really strange. My staff told me that on another machine which use the same configuration, everything works fine (i.e shared memory is initialized with the service running).

Do you guys know what seems to be the problem ? Why does the shared memory initialization fail with the service running but work with the commandline ???

I am looking forward for your reply. Tks you in advance.

I attach here the configuration and log file of the server.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Take a look at how you sqlhost is set up, I believe it is in registry in win NT environment. Also make sure you hosts and services files are set up correctly

Cheers

Hi

I checked those files as you suggested, but I found nothing to justify. I post the files here so you guys can read it. I made a comparision with the file on another server (which does not have the above mentioned problem). There is not much different, except the SERVICE field is different.

Working: "SERVICE"="turbo"

Non-working: "SERVICE"="olreshrs"

Do you think that it's the problem ? Or might it be some other reasons else ?

Tks for replying me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, anyone out there ?

Please take a look at my post. Looking forward for more replies.

There should be a file in your \tmp directory that starts with af* something, please post it. It is a dump of the system at the point of crash.

Hi, I cannot find the file u've mentioned. Is that the tmp directory of Windows or Informix ? Can u give me the fullpath ?

I'm using win2k, IDS 7.3.

Make sure windows "Server" service has started, set the 'startup type' to "automatic".

You may need to install informix after start the Server" service.

__
    SC

Yes, I did check the two things you mentioned above. It was there from the beginning. It seems there is nothing wrong with the configuation file since the shared memory can be initialized when I start the server from command line. It's the problem when I start it as a service.

Yes, I did check the two things you mentioned above. It was there from the beginning. It seems there is nothing wrong with the configuation file since the shared memory can be initialized when I start the server from command line. It's the problem when I start it as a service.