Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truncate Table

Unanswered: Truncate Table

I have several very large tables and sometimes I need to clean them.
    It's known that TRUNCATE TABLE works much faster than DELETE, but impossible to use TRUNCATE TABLE on a table referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint... Is it possible temporary disable (not delete) constraints and after complition of TRUNCATE enable them ?

i don't know if it is possible to disable the foreign key constraint

but i do know that you would never be able to turn it back on

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    i don't know if it is possible to disable the foreign key constraint

but i do know that you would never be able to turn it back on

Is it a good idea to delete constraint and after truncate table to create it again? I have to clear tables with millions rows and DELETE works very slow...

that will work, but only if you do something to the dependent table before attempting to create the constraint again, because otherwise it will fail
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

that will work, but only if you do something to the dependent table before attempting to create the constraint again, because otherwise it will fail

I want to truncate these tables, so when I'll ceate constraints tables will be empty...

you want to truncate the dependent table as well? your first message did not suggest this

there is no need to mess with the constraints

just truncate the dependent table first!!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

you want to truncate the dependent table as well? your first message did not suggest this

there is no need to mess with the constraints

just truncate the dependent table first!!!

I tried to do so, but I got error 'Cannot truncate table 'Table1' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.'

Also, MSDN says: You cannot use TRUNCATE TABLE on a table referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint; instead, use DELETE statement without a WHERE clause. Because TRUNCATE TABLE is not logged, it cannot activate a trigger.

Provided Answers: 6
    you can drop foriegn key constraints by using alter table and then after you do your import you can recreate it.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

import? where did that come from?

yurich, you have to truncate the table that references (contains the foreign key) FIRST

THEN you can truncate the table that is referenced (contains the primary key) SECOND
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

whatever. I just assumed.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

import? where did that come from?

yurich, you have to truncate the table that references (contains the foreign key) FIRST

THEN you can truncate the table that is referenced (contains the primary key) SECOND
    Foreign key table is empty already, but I get the same error when I trying to truncate primary key table...

oh

okay, i guess you'll have to alter/drop the keys

(can you tell i have never done this before?)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

You can not use TRUNCATE on tables that have RI
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

you can if you use ALTER TABLE to remove your RI like so

ALTER TABLE SALES DROP CONSTRAINT FK__sales__stor_id__0AD2A005
    before you do your truncate.

EXTRA BOLDS FOR EXTRA SNIDENESS

Cute...but, if you alter the table, then the table then has no RI, Soooo...you can then use TRUNCATE...so the statement stands

You can not use TRUNCATE on tables that have RI
    Besides, doing the ALTER means you'd have to makes sure you rebuild the RI later.

If this doesn't have to be automated (I did that once...I'd have to dig up the code...and it's fairly involved) The easiest way to do this is to Script the tables you want from your existing database. Create 2 files. 1 With the CREATE TABLE statements, and the other with all the other constraints.

Then DROP The tables

Run the create table scripts

Do what you have to do.

Then rerun the ALTERs to recreate the constraints

That's what I'd do...

MOO
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.