Unanswered: backup system databases

hi,

I have just started a new job and they have nightly backups of the master, msdb and model databases.

But why would you need a nightly backup of the model database? surely the model database never changes, so would a one time backup not be sufficient?

Please advise me if I am incorrect

Cheers

Provided Answers: 1
    Usually yes, sometimes no.

Every new database created on the server is a copy of Model. So it you have common tables, stored procs, functions, roles, or logins that you want included in every new database, those can be put in the Model database.

And that would justify backing it up.

Frankly, I back up EVERY database. Why not? It makes admin easier because you don't have to deal with exceptions, and I can't think of a time I've ever whacked myself on the head and thought "Damn! I wish I hadn't backed up that data!"
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I would never risk having inconsistent databases, ie master from last night, model from last week.
    A model backup does not take up any resources at all. If it were a 20GB database, that of course might change things.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    ...Frankly, I back up EVERY database. Why not? It makes admin easier because you don't have to deal with exceptions...
    Including TEMPDB?

In addition to backing up system databases it is also advisable to create re-runnable scripts that would restore not only logins without having to restore master, but also server-wide permissions. Not every disaster recovery calls for a full master restore, especially if one can be avoided.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 1
    No, I don't back up TEMPDB.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com