Unanswered: Newby to ODBC. connecting linux to an access file

I have 15 years of programming in c/c++/perl/php using oracle and mysql. I figure connecting to a M$ database can't be that different, can it? I figured wrong! heheh

I have an Access Database on a MS Server 2003 box. lets call it orders.mdb
    I dont think there is sql server installed.

I want to be able to connect from a Linux box using PHP to this DB with sql logins. Meaning something like:

in PHP odbc_connect("192.168.111.102","mylogin","mypasswo rd",""); so I'll need a login

in mysql this is cake.
    in m$ land I'm pulling out my hair.

Currently there's an ODBC entry already. The people that created database have software on our XP boxes that do connect to this and use it, so I know something works. If I load up Access on my XP box, I can "connect to existing database" and see the data. But it doesnt ask for a login. it uses "windows NT integrated security" and then I can "select a database on the server". Which by the way the databases that show up, I do not see them on the server under odbc.

why isnt the server responding to port 1433? isnt that the port it should be talking on?

Where do I add users for databases so I can create a login. I found a spot under advanced that lets me add a login, but it's not clear if this is the database login, and wow, you can only add 1 login. and they get full rights to the database? ouch!

where do I specify the database name? all those database names I see with Access I do not see on the server under odbc.

Ya, I'm lost. help plz.

maybe i misunderstand what you are trying to do, but it's worth making an observation anyway:
    there is no "access server", there is no "access process" turning on your server. there is no DBMS.

orders.mdb is just a dumb file.

access can play with the dumb file but it scoops the dumb file down to the client - all the smarts are at the client.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

you have to have the network path to the mdb file to process on it. maybe you should try PHP forum of this site, Im sure you can get a better PHP based answer there.
    http://www.dbforums.com/f14
    Last edited by ghozy; 02-01-05 at 14:58. Reason: typo
    ghozy.